A challenge to lovers of unusual openings

• FM FM_Eric_Schiller
  • | Nov 4, 2012

As you probably know, I have written quite a bit about unusual openings. A while ago John Watson and I collaborated on a very popular book, the Big Book of Busts.b, which dealt with unusual opening strategies. Well, we are at it again. So we invite all of you who love unusual openings to present us with your favorite unusual openings in the comments so that John and I can make sure they are included in our new effort. The openings don't have to be terribly radical but simply openings which are not usually seen in professional competitive play. This book is for amateurs mostly with low ratings. We're not going to get into a lot of deep analysis, we're simply going to give one or two lines and those who are interested can pursue the openings in other books or in online databases. This book will be an e+ eplus-book. We may publish a normal book at some point in the future. We invite all of your comments and suggestions.

Comments

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

The book is complete and is the hands of the publisher, eplus chess books.   Thanks for all of your input.

Pastuszek

1.d4 b5

lesperance

NM hangemhigh

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 c5; delayed Tarrasch/Peruvian

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5 3.exd5 Bd6; Elephant Gambit

1.e4 e6; obviously badLaughing

RyanMurphy5

snake benoni

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

@karapiper: almost all of them are already in the book.

scc314

This would be interesting to see:

karapiper

aslo other interesting variations :

1.b4 e5 2.Bb2 f6 3.e4 Bxb4 4.f4!!?

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a5!!? planning Na7/b5

1.e4 e5 2.Bb5

1.d4 c5 2.d5 f5!?! (Dutch Benoni)

1.g3!? (Benko's/white pterodactyl)

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.g3 b5!?(common at GM level)

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.c4 a6!? (if you like the Benko but not the Blumenfeld for Black)

1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Ng8!? (redeploying after d6 or e6)

1.e4 g6 2.Bc4 Bg7 3.Qf3!?(followed by d4 or h4)

1.e4 e6 2.d4 a6!!? (alternative move-order for St.George's opening)

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 d6(Steinitz's rare move nowadays)

1.g4!?! (Grob attack)

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.d3 d6 6.Nh3!?

1.d4 d5 2.c4 Bf5!?

1.c4 f5 2.b3!? (not allowing ...g6)

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Nxe5 Nc6!?(Capablanca!)

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 Qe8!?

1.z4!! (lol)

please consider my suggestions and sorry if I wrote a variation quoted before!

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

@karapiper: I have a whole new book on this: Fly the Pterodctyl, and have written some articles here on it.

karapiper

This opening has helped me reach a 2230 rapid fide rating

YoniKer

@myk99

I hope that you do not have any further doubts,after the 2061 FIDE rated player has showed you an OTB 28 years old game where he won after his opponent who did not know too much theory could force a draw by repitition but blundered horribly his queen instead...

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

@myk99: Most of my Schliemann games are corresponence with about even scoire but I have been luckier over the board for example:

farquad

I have on I play against I believe its the petroff defense 1.e4, e5 2. Nf3, Nf6 3. Nxe5, d6 4. Nxf7!!! Its definately a fun and exciting opening!

myk99

@YoniKer - I hope your not thinking that Im questioning Mr. Schillers credintials.I own several of his books and enjoy his teaching ability, I am only questioning the line by the research I have put into it. I would advise everyone to do the same with any line that they dont fully understand. I apologize if my question came off rude.

YoniKer

@myk99

FM Schiller,a 2061 fide rated player,is a well known expert on 3..f5 Ruy lopez.

Since his prepration in this line is so good to the point where if he played it he would win all the games against anyone human,he has always played Caro Kan or sicilian or philidor,so as to give his opponents a chance(well,at least not even one 3..f5 game of his appears on chessgames.com from the last 10 years).

Indeed,with such an expert you cannot go wrong and  i would,too,go and buy all of  his books on this line.

ferdinandplebie

myk99

@ FM Schiller - after 3. ..f5, isn't 4.Bxc6 supposed to be strong for white? Which book of yours has this variation? Id like to look further into this.

FM FM_Eric_Schiller

@wdevilhalo: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 f5, the subject of several of my books with a new one coming next week.

WDevilHalo

I played a strange seemingly unsound gambit once, i happened to win probably from shock value and luck that my opponent didnt know what to do. Im wondering if any one knows the exact move order i forgot but comp analysis called it the Janneish gambit dont know if i got the spelling right.

YoniKer

Since the book is targeted  for "amateurs mostly with low ratings",it is going to be a very radical gambit book,for people who will gambit their time reading this book and not improving,rather than studying tactics,strategy,and basic opening principles (which will be enough for a not-so-low rating...)

Another radical idea by Schriller to keep weak players weak.

Thank you.