A historic tournament to start on chess.com July 5!

• NM aww-rats
  • | Jul 4, 2014

Would you like to play in a weekend tournament (over the next two weekends) with a time control of 90 30 (That's 90 minutes plus a 30 second increment each move) without having to travel? You can do it on chess.com in this historic event. This is the second event, one was held a few weekends back with rave reviews by the players.

Real tournaments cost you a lot of money in entries, travel, and lodging. These events on chess.com cost nothing but your time and give you valuable practice for real in-person events. You need to play long games in order to develop your chess skills.

Our goal is to have these tournaments become automated. Right now, chess.com isn't set up yet to do this so human involvement will manage the event.

There are two events, Eastern, and Western Hemisphere:

Click here for information to sign up: Eastern Hemisphere: http://www.chess.com/groups/forumview/laquoeastern-hemisphere-slow-live-week-end-championshipraquo-sign-up-forum

Western Hemisphere: http://www.chess.com/groups/forumview/laquowestern-hemisphere-slow-live-week-end-championshipraquo-sign-up-forum

If you need to miss a round, you may request a half-point bye for any round.

There is plenty of long time control games to be had on chess.com if you know where to look.

Dan Heisman Learning Center, over 5,700 members : they run slow events and you enter them and negotiate a time and day to play with your opponent. Auto-Join here: http://www.chess.com/groups/join?id=15640 You will receieve a PM from the group admin how to get started.

Slow Live Chess Association, over 1,100 members. Pretty much same as Dan Heisman's group. Auto join here: http://www.chess.com/groups/join?id=24858

World Standard Time Control 365 days per year group, over 3500 members. To find spontaneous games when you're ready for a long game. Advertise on our group wall and post your seek in Live Chess! Auto-join here: http://www.chess.com/groups/join?id=21340

Also, my Free Video lessons group gets you access to my videos. I do plenty of live commentary for long games and upload them to YouTube. I covered the games of the first weekend event and you can find them on my playlist. we specialize in helping you improve your game with correspondence chess and a forum full of support topics. also, we have titled players giving periodic simultanwouses against the members. Auto-join here: http://www.chess.com/groups/join?id=14246

Also, please support my plea to have chess.com run automated long standard tme control events! Post a reply here: http://www.chess.com/article/view/how-chesscom-can-become-the-internet-leader-for-slow-time-control-games

Thanks for your time

Comments

• 7 weeks ago

mcris

You will learn that you cannot win in both cases! With a chess engine I can play myself, I don't need a cheater!

Bryan_Urizar

mcris: Your analogy is stupid. A runner won't learn anything from running against a car, but a chess player can learn a lot from playing against an engine. If you had asked whether I'd like to run against a 'perfect' runner then yes I would because I would learn something in that case.

CM DavidReti

Should British players enter the Western Hemisphere tournament or the Eastern Hemisphere one?

mcris

Bryan, how would you like to run in athletic event where some of the competitors are cars?

Bryan_Urizar

Why is cheating such a big problem? Even if you lose against someone who is using an engine you can always learn from your loss. Yeah your rating will be affected, but c'mon its only a number and one that you can always get back up.

jcm1978

Hi @bullerplayer2004

I'd edit out that email address if I were you, this is a public site after all.

bulletplayer2004

I think I have enough time for this event, aww-rats. Although I am pretty busy with school and homework.(I am 10 years old). I will try to find time so I can play in this event. But for the moment I am quiet busy with school and homework as I told you before. Then again, I will try to find an appropriate time zone that works for me

P.S. If you find an avalible time zone that  can use then send me a message or email me. (my email is sailmanwei@hotmail.com. Or, post a link that I can follow. Then again I am sorry If I cannot play in this exciting and awsome event.

P.P.S. If you do happen to find avalible players, I wish good luck and great fun to those who are participating

KMagik

That sounds really cool, although the time means for me starting at 6 AM. But what better way to start a day than with some chess?

NM aww-rats

maatou...chess.com is pretty good about catching cheaters. We can't prevent them from playing, but we can get rid of them.

maatou

How to avoid cheating , with computer essentially?

Pirat2punkt0

x

rTist21

Interesting idea; I just don't like the idea of playing that late at night, especially with the prospects of work getting in the way of playing.

I'll have to pass this time, but I'll keep an eye on the games; I'm intrigued enough to want to follow this.

-_KNiGHt_-