Attacking 101: Volume #001 Book (October 2012)

• NM FearNoEvil12
  • | May 25, 2014

Attacking 101: Volume #001

The goal of the books in this series (Attacking 101: Volume #nnn) is to provide detailed analysis of my own attack games played against lower rated players. The players are all rated in the range of 1000 to 1800 - the types of players you would frequently encounter at your local chess club, local tournaments, online, and at home. They make the same errors you regularly witness in your games but here you get to see a Chess Master dissect and exploit the moves, show why they are wrong, and how to punish the opponent‘s poor play.

For chess.com readers, I have included a chapter from the book.

Danish Gambit

---------------------------------------
Opening Lines
---------------------------------------

The Danish Gambit starts with the following move sequence:

Danish Gambit (C21)
1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4

From there, Black can choose to accept the second pawn with the move

4. ... cxb2 and White will develop his queenside Bishop too with the move 5. Bxb2.

------------------------------------------
Techniques Learned
------------------------------------------

The Danish Gambit, like most opening gambits, is designed to provide speedy development at the cost of a pawn or two. Whether the gambit works or not will be determined by your ability to convert the development advantage into another form of advantage like positional pressure, material gain, checkmate, etc. If Black is able to thwart your advances then he will very likely win the endgame with his surplus of queenside pawns.

The Danish Gambit is the perfect weapon against pawn grabbers and material mongers.

--------- Game #013 ----------

--------- Game #014 ----------

I play another game with the same player and this time around he declines accepting the second free pawn. I wonder why? 

CONTENTS

Game #060 – MassCarnage -- jnader (1171)                   108

Book News                110
    Available Books     110
    Future Books         110

What people are saying about Attacking 101: Volume #001:

Thomas M. Peterson, Madison, WI
I love to fight on the chessboard. My philosophy is get the pieces out to the right places and coordinate an attack. However, this book has shown me there is a second equally important factor to winning: controlling your opponent. This book is teaching me the methods that go on behind the scenes that lead to inevitable wins. Through Joel's books I am getting an excellent winning education.

I like to keep my best chess sources secret, but I have to give credit where credit is due. This book is aimed at the improving player. Thanks again Joel for helping us break into the expert ranks.

Mark Marshall
Exceptional chess book for the intermediate player. I hope Joel produces more just like this. Play like Morphy, Tal and Alekhine, get this book. 5 Stars.

Andrew Bland, Bradford, United Kingdom
Brilliant, the almost move by move annotation is very helpful. It's a little sad but I'm quite excited about working my way through it – and already looking forward to volume 2. I've been completely re-visiting my repertoire after reading your comments about playing aggressive openings.  For me Joel, your work is filling a huge gap in my Chess library.

Dr. Nicholas Sterling, Chess Horizons, Massachusetts Chess Association
What is provided in Attacking 101 is illuminating, and does a superior job of linking opening to final position, or alpha to omega. This reviewer eagerly awaits Volume #002 and recommends this book to those who are ready to learn how to sneak up on their opponents with well-conceived and well-executed attacks.

My books are available at the following websites:

Lulu.com

Amazon.com

USCF Sales

Chess Books From Europe

chess 4less.com

Thanks for your support, Joel Johnson

Comments

• 8 weeks ago

naruhodo

Thanks, Joel! Looking forward to your next book. I also sent you a message about the other stuff.

• 8 weeks ago

NM FearNoEvil12

Hi Byron,

Let's start with the easy question. When will Attacking 101: Volume #002 come out? Currently, my plan is to write Volume #002 (and maybe 3 & 4), one after the other in the fall or winter this year. My best guess is end of October. I already have most of the games for the book, so I should be able to accomplish that goal. I will sendd you a private message to address your other questions. Thanks, Joel

• 8 weeks ago

naruhodo

Hi Joel,

Hope you're still checking this post. I wanted to let you know that I LOVE your book. I've worked through all the "Center Game" and "Danish Gambit" games, and I'm working/reworking through the Alekhine games. I must admit that I didn't see the tactics on that first Alekhine game even after thinking it through before looking at the answer, so I've gone over it a few times. The Center Game games have been lots of fun in my chess.com blitz matches. I actually managed to use the Knockout Punch theme on someone rated higher than me (I didn't actually land the punch, but the threat won me a bishop which eventually won me the game!)

So two questions (if you're checking this):

1. What is your view of chess coaches and attackers vs. defenders? My son is an attacker who was one of the top players in our state for his age group this year. He doesn't need a coach yet--he's eight, and most of his mistakes are "en prise" mistakes--but eventually he will. I ask because I read Josh Waitzkin's book about how a defensive coach turned him off chess by "correcting" his attacking nature. Is it important to find a coach who prefers attacking, or are all masters capable of teaching how to attack?

2. When is Volume #002 coming out??? I'm finding myself looking forward to white games on chess.com, but I've got nothing when I'm black! :) (Well, I've got my Sicilian, but it's not nearly as exciting as sac'ing a pawn for development as White.)

Thanks!

Byron

NM FearNoEvil12

Hi naruhodo,

By the way, I really like the Marc Esserman book, "Mayhem in the Morra", and I have a chapter in Attacking 101 about the Morra Gambit and mention his book.

Enkoy, Joel

naruhodo

Joel,

Thanks for the reply! That's right, Carissa Yip is from your hometown! I actually learned of the Smith Morra from reading about one of her games (even though she was only 9). Since starting Esserman's book, I've won three of my four rated games in which I've played the Morra, one of which was against a 1500 (I'm 1292, but I've only been playing rated games since January). Ironically, the Morra game I lost was because my second 1500 opponent tripped me up by declining it (and I lost on time since it was a USCF dual-rated 30/5)!

I just ordered your Attacking 101 book from Amazon. The reason for my late reply was that I was looking for another chess book to get me to the $35 minimum, and it was clear to me that a lot of books are written for stronger players; I had to shop around. I'm looking forward to learning more about attacks.

Thanks for your reply, and thanks for writing this book!

NM FearNoEvil12

Hi naruhodo,

It is important to play gambits as part of a player's development cycle, to learn how to attack, maintain the initiative, and convert material minus into a winning position. Then, when you become stronger, you will have the appropriate understanding to convert such positions to wins. I talk about this in one of my books. I met Carissa Yip on one of my trips back home to Lowell, MA, at the Fitchburg Chess Club, a couple of years ago. I also gave her a free copy of one of my books.

Thanks, Joel

naruhodo

Thank you, Joel! This is a great article, and I'm studying it. I'm going to check out your book.

I strongly disagree with Johnny. Showing your games against lower-rated players is a great idea, similar to some of the games in Chernev's classic Logical Chess. Grandmaster v. Grandmaster games are often too hard for beginners to understand, as they require calculation that goes beyond the ability of most beginners. Gambits are fun for us lower-rated players, and they demonstrate easy-to-understand tactics. Plus, they're fun!

These gambits are also perfectly sound if you're playing people at lower levels. Grandmaster Larry Christiansen recommends experimenting with gambits, and he recently studied the Smith Morra as a weapon to be used for his own games, even at the grandmaster level! His star prodigy Carissa Yip (who became an expert at the age of 9 and is currently one of the top young players in the U.S.) plays gambits against other expert-level players. If it works for people at that level, it will definitely work for the rest of us too.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing this!

junseonglee

sometimes danish gambit is good

and also there is queen d2 after bb4+

JohnnySaysThankYou

You should not be teaching losing variations to lower rated players. My teacher has always taught me how to beat the best. People will not get good at chess if they hang on to what's making them lose and opening plays into

that. To play the opening well is so important and teaching people gambits is only going to get them killed when they try to make the leap to master level. It's hard to defend gambits but defenders love them cause they get the material and run. One should always be working to eliminate weaknesses and gambits create a weakness in the opening right from the start. There are good gambits yes, but you are

advocating teaching the Danish which loses instantly to the variation I mentioned and it's more resilient cousin the smith morra. These are unsound. If one wants to play sound gambits and be aggressive the Marshall gambit is an amazing system and so is the benko. But these are complicated for lower level players and so if you want to play them you better know what you're doing or you have no chance.

Joseacarrillo

Looks like a nice book to learn attacking style ;)

berrychess

Let the guy alone: he talked about using it agains 1000 to 1800 players. Works like charm at low level.

JohnnySaysThankYou

People like this should not be writing books. The Danish Gambit is not sound and will not work against better players. Just FYI. As soon as you know to play 5...d5 with the idea of if bishop takes playing Nf6 Bxf7 Kxf7 Qxd8 Bc4+!! with the rook about to win white's queen and black being up material with an easy win the danish gambit becomes trivial. What's more, good attack is not built on psychology but on positional soundness. Tal never played a gambit in his life.

penguin507