Chess.com Player Profiles: GM LittlePeasant

LittlePeasant_l.gif

Name: Alejandro Ramirez

Title: GM

Date of birth: 21 June 1988

Fide rating: 2576

Country: USA

What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favorite movie?

I have a huge tie for second place, but above them all is Amélie.

What kind of food and drink do you prefer?

I'm a food lover, so this is a tough one. Asian fusion probably for food, vodka tonic for alcoholic drink.

What is your favorite book?

Again, this is not an easy choice. I love Science Fiction short stories, so a lot of the anthologies capture my mind.  In non fiction I guess "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson is fascinating, if not that "The Emperor's New Mind". In fiction I love the "Wheel of Time"-series by Robert Jordan.

What music are you currently grooving to?

My playlists ranges from J-Pop to Alternative Rock. I have pretty much all of Ayumi Hamasaki's songs, and in alternative rock I guess Muse and Blink-182 come to mind. I do avoid rap and country usually though.

Tell me a chess secret?

Chess players are not good at math.

What is the best game you ever played?

Hey, probably not my best game ever but cool enough.

Which do you think is worse, failing or never trying?

This should be obvious. If you don't know the answer go and fail in something soon.

What chess player have you ever wanted to be and why?

I've always wanted to calculate like Karjakin, but I wouldn't really want to be anyone that isn't myself.

What do you do to get better at chess?

I do a lot - but clearly it isn't working right now. I will be reviewing my training methods in the coming weeks.

How old were you when you began to play chess?

I was about four years old.

Do you have a family?

My parents are still alive if that´s what you mean, they live in Costa Rica with my sister. As far as wife and kids, no, I do not have anything close to that at the moment.

Is the Internet a big part of your life?

Every second I am off the internet I am on the phone yelling at some internet service provider representative about why my internet is not working.

What was your childhood like?

Pretty cool. We moved a lot and I was a cool kid... I lived in Boca Raton, Orlando and Altamonte Springs for a while, all in Florida.

What is chess to you – a game of combat or of art?

Chess is too many things to be simplified and categorized as 'combat' or 'art'.

What is your best chess memory?

Maybe winning the US Open in 2010.  I've won a lot of tournaments but that one in specific were 9 days in which everything just went right.

GM Ramirez winning the US Open 2010.jpg

How much time do you devote to chess?

Not enough, clearly.

What is your inner being?

My inner being and my outer being is the same. If you get to know me I won't be hiding much.

Who is your inspiration?

My dad has always been a great inspiration to me in many aspects of life.

What is your greatest fear?

I can't say I fear anything. If I fail in chess, in my career, in my relationships, I will simply start anew. I've got pretty strong willpower.

Do you prefer blitz, otb tournaments or correspondence style chess?

Blitz. I believe that OTB tournaments should die so that chess can progress. Blitz is the only marketable form of chess. I have as much interest in correspondence chess as I do in gardening.

Who is your most difficult opponent?

I can't seem to beat Ray Robson for some reason.  Grrrr.

Describe a perfect day.

I'd like to keep the interview PG.

Is there any chess book that has had a deep and lasting influence on you?

Probably Mark Dvoretsky's books. "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" by John Watson was also good.

If you could choose to live one day of any time in the history of mankind, which time would that be and why?

Probably some time in the future. Once one gets used to some commodities it is hard to go back in time without them.  I'd like an age where transportation wasn't so time-consuming and distances were smaller.

Do you have any favorite hobbies?

I guess video games. I was a systems designer for Diablo 3, so I play a ton of that. Starcraft and WoW have consumed tons of hours of my time - outside of that I like Civ 5 and I enjoy the occasional indy game once in a while. "Bastion" was the latest one I really liked. I wish more games like "Valkyria Chronicles" came out but that style is hard to find. "Disgaea" was a personal favorite when it came out as well. I play pretty much anything that is not a FPS (First-person shooter).  I suck at FPS games and I refuse to play them since they are such carbon copies of each other.

What is your most treasured possession?

My computer.

Are you a superstitious person?

Sometimes. All chess players are somewhat superstitious. Little things like not reusing a pen when I lose. But outside of that no, I am not.

What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in chess?

Chess is like a reflection of your self. It always tells me if I'm doing something right or wrong in my life. How to have inner peace, how to manage situations and when to put effort and when to use your instincts. So many lessons...

What does your future hold as a chess player?

Only the future will determine that. However during the next few months I will be putting some serious effort into the game.

How would you describe yourself to an alien from another planet?

As a short and sexy specimen.

Do you have any thoughts on how Chess.com can get even better?

Chess.com is already doing a lot of things right, and it is taking steps to improving itself. The newest "ambassador program" is attracting very strong players to the site. This program will serve to attract more people than they can imagine to the site.

Comments

Utopia10

awesome

Utopia10

he is great

ChessisGood

Thanks! Chess.com should make a newsletter and put this in it.

IM DanielRensch

I agree with him Arun Tongue out... but it doesn't take anything away from you...

Englix

Hi ChessisGood, yes indeed I will make these interviews more active, it´s already in the works....

Thanks for your feedback.

ChessisGood

Could you make these interviews more interactive, instead of asking the same questions again and again?

ChessisGood

Tell me a chess secret?

Chess players are not good at math.

This looks bad for my chess career!

mobidi

he is right-chess players are really no good in math-why-because they have strong fantasy and imagination....,but ,not all ,of course,f.e.-Lasker was very strong at math...

nyLsel

Not all chess players are good in math. It's just a matter of their interest. :)

roaringking87

Thanks for your explanation, GM LittlePeasant. :)

I think you can sell long time control chess much more easily, than blitz or rapid where you just watch the moves as they appear on the board, by choosing a valuable commentator that unveils all the plans in openings, middlegames and endgames. I follow all the tournaments and world championship I can and I don't find them boring because of that. It's different than reading a lifeless commentated PGN. Following the live games gives me an excitement that you cannot feel in videos or PGNs.

FM Lalu

Tell me a chess secret?

Chess players are not good at math.

I resent that comment!

chickenfried

Chess players are not good at math?  Really?

Akushigo

Why doesn't white do f6 for move 19? This game confuses me a lot

Ryan390

Awesome interview dude, I'm finding more and more that quite a few chess players I know are developers, including myself. Laughing

I work with commercial software, but my passion really would be to work in the games industry.

Also, great game you posted there, I like how you punished his opening. Even making minor mistakes in the opening can lead to disaster, try pulling a crazy opening against a strong chess engine and the result is very similar/brutal.

I also agree with you about the blitz/bullet chess, not really what chess is about, but hey it's a bit of fun, right? Wink

Elubas

Blitz forces you to organize what you understand so that you can play fast and yet still consistently; in other words, there's a lot of chess skill involved, but still, it takes out a lot of the more beautiful, subtle things about chess. That "tricky quiet move" will often be replaced by a "plausible though prosaic attacking move." As a perfectionist, I enjoy the idea of trying to find the absolute best move possible, looking at every little subtlety that exists on the board. In fact, the only reason I want a time control at all is to prevent time abuse and to make sure the game actually ends.

melvinbluestone

Ah, the audacity (and charm!) of youth..... Interesting that a 24 year old has all the answers, or at least sounds like he does. I was probably just the same, back in the day (think Carter Administration), except for my rotten chess playing. Funny thing is, I think he's pretty much right on the money on the few topics discussed. And especially on blitz... Blitz chess is the only style of play that may be loosely related to video games, for what that's worth. I despise them myself, but there is no denying the tremendous popular appeal of video games. Just look at the replies in GM Ramirez's interview: the lengthiest one is about video games! Personally, I love playing blitz because, at my age, I want to jam in as many chess games as possible before I, uh, move on to the next plateau, so to speak.

davidmelbourne

Great interview, lovely to meet this bloke:)

IM DanielRensch

Wow, that was a lot of fun to read... Of course, I already knew all of this about you Jandy Wink, and they forgot to ask you your favorite nickname you were ever given Tongue out!!!

Danny

ClavierCavalier

I doubt that the general public is going to pay more attention to blitz chess. They generally don't even know what Blitz is.

GM LittlePeasant

Since some people have made a comment about my view on 'classical chess' I guess I should make an addendum:

The quality of chess would go down with rapids and blitz, of course, but the faster time controls and the more exciting results would be easier to sell to the public.  Chess has become somewhat 'stuck' in finding sponsors and TV coverage.  I'm not saying my solution is the only viable one - that was a witty exaggeration, but clealry sticking to our current guns is dangerous to the game.

As a GM I don't watch tournaments like Biel or Dortmund.  I simply wait for the games to finish and then go over it and see what I can learn.  However I can be glued to the computer in the World Blitz Chess Championship or even the chess.com deathmatches.