DiamondBase PRO by Chess Informant

• GM GMTadic
  • | Aug 20, 2013

Chess Informant has launched new chess openings database system called DiamondBase PRO, that should compete with popular database choices on the market.php1zFRW8.png

What is all about?

We believe that Chess Informant database is first-rate chess database that can be found. All the games are annotated and most of the games are annotated by players themselves. It covers a period from 1966 to present time. It is constantly updated with every new Chess Informant, just like most recent Volume 117 - Jazz Edition. However, complete database is expensive and we think that the solution is in smaller databases. That's how DiamondBase PRO is born!

Now you can find your favorite opening line and get all games and variations by instant download, in three formats CBH, PGN and CA, which makes it readable in ChessBase, Chess Assistant or any PGN reader. It is hassle-free solution and, btw, we are offering CI Expert Lite as a freebie.

New download store is still in experimental phase (but fully functional!) and there are 22 DiamondBases, but hundreds more are yet to come.

Check out the press realease:

From the treasure of Chess Informant Database we can extract annotated games related to popular opening lines. We do it with the care; we do it from the point of view of tournament players. Grandmasters and international masters on our editorial board select these lines; each of these databases is the one they recommend as personal advisers.

What you are getting is the quintessential material from 1966 to the present day, from Informant No.1 to the newest one. Nothing should distract your attention or make your task any slower with search, filtering, etc., when the big challenge is waiting for you in only a few hours. DiamondBase is here to fulfill your needs when preparing the opening lines you are interested in within the time frame you have to work with.

The benefit is that you don't need to buy complete (and expansive) databases and deal with overwhelming number of games and sidelines. Your opponent is playing the Caro-Kann Fantasy Variation? Use this tool to beat him on his own ground. All players, weather pro or amateur, own the big databases. Does it make you equal? There are millions of games to sort through; the majority of those games were never even seen or checked on a basic level by anyone, not even the publisher!

How can you select the important games? What about quality? What about in-depth annotations from the players themselves?

What about such annotations from the biggest names of modern chess? What about two or three levels of comparing the relevant games?

This is the thin line that makes a difference. DiamondBase PRO!

phpzVHcYl.png

Comments

GM GMTadic

hicetnunc  As you know, ECO code is not ideal and it would never be, because chess fashion is contantly in change. Our goal is not to divide CI database simply by ECO codes, but by variations that are mostly practical. Active chess players know that if you are playing Nb3 in one Sicilian line, it is totaly different than Nf3. Means that these two variations would attract completely different audience, for example positional vs. attacking players.

I want to say that choosing is equally important task and it takes time, especially when we are working on other projects as well. There is also a need to combine DiamondBases with CI Labs theoretical articles, etc.

I am glad that you realized that the price range is adequate and there are no plans to conduct changes. However, there are other things that we want to know, so it is an experimental in some other sense, should we put more efforts in this field or... etc.

Finally, now there are more DiamondBases than it used to be. It is a process :).

hicetnunc

How come you're not offering more Diamond databases right from the start ? I would assume filtering the main CI database by ECO code wasn't such a difficult task Wink, so I guess there's another reason ?! Maybe you want to test the current pricing ? (which seems about right).

GM GMTadic

Just posted Chess.com blog article called Why Chess Databases? Your question @ LacksCreativity ,  has inspired me :)

LacksCreativity

Why have a database though? Can't I just use a computer, and learn how to play the opening? Are there really so many games you can't get online?

GM GMTadic

Lavidaeshermosa. I do recommend. Please note that only 22 databases are posted so far. You might not find lines that you are interested for. However, we will continiously add more DiamondBases. Stay tuned!

I don't know if I was clear enough about the concept. We are talking about games (all games!) annotated by players, mostly grandmasters and some of the biggest names in the modern history of chess, including actual stars. Focus is on the opening but these are full annotated games, with reference variations.

Lavidaeshermosa

I am a tournament player do you recommend I get it?

GM GMTadic

LacksCreativity. Having databases is a must for tournament player. I am not saying this is the must-have database or that there is smth wrong with game explorer.

The point is that everyone is playing their "own" systems, and you have to be deep into the subject. Of course, if the success is a primary goal.

This could be interesting question to be posted separately. I think I could elaborate it much more.

LacksCreativity

How important is having a database? Because whenever I've wanted to look through lines, I go through the chess.com game explorer

GM GMTadic

Zenchess You're welcome! Jazz edition will be available in September. Right now, it can be found only as a book or CD.

Please note that Informant download databases doesn't contain full articles such as Garry's Choice, etc. Otherwise, CD wil be useless. However, articles by Garry Kasparov and by Mihail Marin, are available at download store as separate products. Latest issues yet to come.

The concept of download store is to lower down the prices and to offer some new products. Finally, some articles are presented but mainly with the idea to pay attention to the content of the books. The book is still the king. :)

GM GMTadic

Buddy_Thompson Thank you. Complete Chess Informant database is available at our book and CD store as a bunch of CDs, 1-100, 101-103, etc. Latest CD 116-118 is yet to come. The price for all CDs is higher than 600 USD. OK, it is more than only simple database but in comparison, DiamondBase is a bargain solution.

Zenchess

Bought chess informant 116, and 3308 chess combinations.  Got my download link in 2 minutes.  Looking forward to going through this material. I'm especially excited about the Kasparov articles.

Question: When is the "jazz edition" going to be available? (Chess informant 117).

Buddy_Thompson

Interesting concept. I'll check it out. But, just out of curiosity, how expensive would the entire Informant database be?

GM GMTadic

PureJay I see your comment as important so pls let me try to answer.

Chess Informant was born long time before CB and many other database providers. Not to mention who learnt from whom :)

All the games from DiamondBase are annotated and, as said, mostly by players themselves. This is the main difference. If we are talking about bases with millions of games, I can assure you that dozens of my own games are inaccurate...wrong moves, results, missing moves, even no moves at all. Am I the onlyone? That ain't gonna happen in Chess Informant database. DiamondBase is nothing else but CI database in small pieces. So, this is the eternal question, quantity or quality. I hope the pont is clear.

GM GMTadic

@ih8sens  Sorry that you had to wait so long :) It should be quicker than 10 minutes, we will work on it.

NM ih8sens

I've made a purchase out of curiosity... after completing payment via Paypal I was never provided with a link to download the product.  Why is that?

-Matt

Edit - Disregard. There's about a 10 minute delay from the time of payment to the time you recieve a link via email.

VERY user friendly site. I'll test the product and see if I recommend :)

PureJay

I don't know.. It seems to me that it's just less than ChessBase databases... It's not that it's hard to find games or openings in ChessBase, it's really easy to filter, so the huge database isn't a problem at all. You can filtor on annotations, rating and opening and there you have it.

If that is not the unique thing Diamondbase Pro has to offer, why should I buy it?

Lavidaeshermosa

[COMMENT DELETED]

GM GMTadic

Nope, it is database of annotated games, based on an opening line. :)

Lavidaeshermosa

so is this like a program or engine or what is it?