Blitz Death Match 26: GM Krush vs GM Kosintseva is LIVE! Hosted by IM Rensch & GM Hess! Click here to watch!

Openings: Theory and Practice

• WGM Natalia_Pogonina
  • | Jun 15, 2010

The opening is a very important stage of the game. It often determines the course of events for the whole encounter. Underestimating (as well as overestimating) the opening’s role often leads to poor performances. To be successful, a strong chess player should have a few well-studied openings at his disposal for each side. Generally, there are two main types of openings: solid (when playing for a draw) and aimed at a fight (when you want the whole point pretty badly). It’s essential to know the main ideas of the opening and the key plans. Some modern and fashionable openings (e.g. the Dragon or Gruenfeld Defense) require extensive knowledge of move-by-move variations, while in others you may get away with improvising. It is sensible to review the positions that occur in this or that opening (following masters’ games) and make sure you like and understand them.

A few recommendations on how to study openings:
1. Read good chess books. They have the main ideas, nuances, variations and illustrative games included.
2. Review masters’ games. What plans they have been trying to implement, how they responded to their opponents’ activity. Once one has reached master level, one should update his/her chess database regularly to stay up-to-date with the latest trends and novelties.
3. Research the position yourself. It is a critical step towards understanding its essence. Many interesting continuations remain behind the scene. Let’s say you want to sacrifice a piece, win an exchange or trade a knight, but no one ever played that way. Build your own tree of variations and see whether you have found a useful idea (write it down). If not, you will learn from your mistakes without losing rating and game points at a real event. A chess engine, a strong chess friend or a coach will be of assistance here.
4. To get a feeling for what the opening is about, play training games (rapid or even blitz). Analyze them thoroughly and pinpoint all the critical moments to avoid making the same mistakes in tournament games.

When a chess player has a broad chess repertoire, it’s harder to prepare for a game with him. Let’s say you play 1.e4, and he may opt for 1…c5, 1…e5, 1…d5, 1…Nf6 depending on his mood. Pretty tough to foresee what to prepare against, right? However, one shouldn’t get obsessed with studying lots of openings simultaneously. This will lead to superficial knowledge of all of them. As my coach likes to say, a person who employs a few openings for each side is either a grandmaster, or a patzer. It is also vital to stay updated on the state of affairs in “your” openings and refresh your openings trees.

A few days before the tournament it makes sense to review your main openings, refresh them in your memory. If you are playing in a round robin or a chess match, it is possible to study the repertoire of your opponent(s) and prepare in advance.

One's opening choice before a game may be influenced by lots of factors:
1.    Tournament situation. Are you ok with a draw or do you need a win only? For example, it hardly makes sense to play a very drawish system if you need to win to get prize money, a title norm, etc.
2.    Your opponent. Choose the opening he doesn’t like, or where he is currently experiencing problems.
3.    Your shape. If you are in high spirits and ready to fight, you may choose the most demanding schemes. Otherwise, settle for something quiet and positional to save energy on calculation of variations.
4.    Opening problems. If someone finds a flaw in your opening preparation during the tournament, it is often useful to abstain from playing it since chances are high you won’t be able to fix it on the go. Otherwise, your partners will be exploiting this and aiming for your Achilles’ heel over and over again. Especially in round-robins, where all the games are available to the participants.

Smart opening choice is the first step towards overall success.

In the following game against WGM Olga Ilyushina (actually, a friend of mine, we live in the same city) at the Russian Club Cup in Dagomys, opening choice played an important role. Olga likes the Catalan, while I always tried to deviate from its main lines. Nonetheless, before this tournament I had studied the variations in detail. Having faced the Catalan for the first time, I managed to surprise my opponent by the sole fact of choosing it. A tricky move order caught her off-guard. Having won the opening duel, I went on to outplay my opponent and earn an important win.

P.S. This article offers insight on how pros work on chess openings. I am not as naïve as to try to persuade you into analyzing for hours with chess engines, downloading the latest TWICs, playing lots of trainings games, gaining sound knowledge and understanding of 20-30 move-long variations, etc. However, the less tips you ignore, the higher the chance of becoming a better player. Depending on how much time you have, your chess goals and other factors, you may come up with a way of studying openings that suits you best.

Comments

jasimlangor

nicezz

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

Let’s stay in touch on social networks! Here are my official accounts:

Twitter
    YouTube
    Facebook:
    Account 1, Account 2, Account 3
    VKontakte
    LiveJournal
    Google+

SameOldFears

I prefer the English and also irregular openings like the Sokolsky Opening and Grobs Attack :P.

I really don't like "drawn openings" like Ruy Lopez - Berlin Defence. Just asking for a draw, if your oponent is at the same level as yourself.

Thanks for the great article.

peter_goen

nice article.....ThanksSmile

ChessPaladin2009

WinkIf you have a reasonably good understanding of Chess Opening Theory & Practice, you really don't need to memorize a number of classic type chess openings at all!  Remember, chess is a mind game!  Opening a game of chess Free Form Style is not so scary if you know and have studied opening theory & practice, with some experience over-the-board.  On a move-by-move basis, a player that is well aquainted with this kind of rogue tactics & strategy is not the least bit inferior to the openings "chess-a-holic" who knows dozens of opening lines and variations from memory(photographic?!), which gives him(or her) a false sense of security during game play!  Yes, Think about that, too!  -  ChessPaladin2009Cool

puertostamaria

Dear Natalia I would like to play a correspondence game against you with no time limit.Would it be possible?? :D thank you for your answers in this forumLaughing

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

puertostamaria I don't play against computers and can't say anything on chessboss' audience since I have never played anyone there.

puertostamaria

Dear Natalia.I have a question for you ! have you ever beaten a hard computer??? I tell you that kuzz i've  played in chessboss.com against strong players many times and  I think they are a computer kuzz they apparently never get tired of playing.Some of my games against these strong players  ended up in a draw.Does it mean  i am a good or a strong player??? Thanks in advance Cool

puertostamaria

[COMMENT DELETED]

RTurietta

Good article as always, Natalia. Thanks!

Evasan

Thanks for the nice article! I found it very informative.Wow, that's a lot of analysis :P

Chacku

Great article. Thanks. I'm trying to prepare and psych my self up for entering a OTB tournament. Reading your articles are helpful.

S_Ong

Thanks ! well just another question plz... how am i gonna analyze my games after i played them ? i din have any chess engines nor a coach or someone better than me in chess at my hometown... its like im playing all on my own. so how to analyze a game personally ?

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

S_Ong No need to spend much time on the opening at "early levels". Your approach appeals to me.

GM_Joji23

hello Natalia, it's amaizing knowing that ur a grandmaster.

lovely article, my Qn is?, like me i happen to a strong player. but most times ,its a simple mistake that  costs me a game.

And then, i find it hard to defend a d4 player, its like i even don't like playing it.

S_Ong

Dear Natalia,

Its good to see a WGM on chess.com ^^ just to ask something... i started playing chess a month ago, and ive come over with so many ppl and they often study openings in earlier lvl but i am doing the other way. i study endgames, tactics, basic theories and review middlegames thinking from master's games and seldom study openings... the only opening i know very well was Giuoco Piano and knight's game cuz i always play that one... so am i need on the right way of study and keep on with it or focusing more on openings ?

pmsd

Dear Natalia,

I cant thank you enough for such a deep insight on opening tips.

wish you the best!.

puertostamaria

considering that humans make mistakes how can i know ahead of time  after so much calculation that my opponent is not gonna make a mistake?

puertostamaria

i always wonder if chess is all luck and not calculation.

what do you think buddies?

WGM Natalia_Pogonina

rickywong Yes, it's true. However, I don't play against computers at all.