Tips to Improve Your Calculation

• FM IvanMaxmillian
  • | Jul 13, 2014

Many of my friends who lost control in their calculation, once said: "I can't calculate for next eight moves forward, all i can do is only five moves forward" So, in this short article i will give some tips to improve your calculation technique.

1.Training exercises, This exercises of this sort gradually led to an improvement of calculation

See the example above, try starting the analysis and find the steps that make white wins. I am not asking for an answer, I just gave an example of exercises that help improve your calculation. After finished with that, the second step is

2.Compare your analyzes with the annotator analyzes, This let you know, how good is your calculation.

Do this everyday, everywhere, everytime, and it's better if you are analyzing without moving the pieces on the board, and i am sure this will improve your calculation in the end. ;-)

Comments

• 2 weeks ago

jaydeep1002

1st tell me whos move in the game -_-

• 2 weeks ago

koravi2

Where is the answer?

• 5 weeks ago

ChipotleJones

Mr. Aelph -

Can I just call you "The?" Excellent. In most cases I would agree with you about publishing textbook grammar, but as you noted, the author's first language probably isn't English. Keep in mind that he was hired for his ability to play and explain chess, and his English is perfectly sufficient for that. I don't know though, maybe you were expecting some of that "flowery New Yorker shht?" =]

We can't all write like Andy Kauffman. problem with this article isn't grammar, but content. Namely, there isn't much of it here. Practice, then practice harder! It's the same philosophy Brazil believed in, and they lost to Germany 7-1. Is there a second part somewhere to compare my response to the "best" response?

• 5 weeks ago

TheEinari

So the tip to become better at calculating is do it more and analyze all the time? Could you even give solution to the exercise since I can't find any solid variation for white to cash in on this postion. Even stockfish ends up in  drawish solution

• 5 weeks ago

yoursisnodisgrace

Thanks for the tips.

• 5 weeks ago

the_aleph

It's useful, that's for sure.  But I do think it's a shame that an article on a major website like chess.com is not properly edited. Ungrammatical and unpunctuated sentences like "This exercises of this sort gradually led to an improvement of calculation" are OK for the draft, making all due allowances for the fact that presumably the writer's first language is not English, but plainly not appropriate for publication.

• 5 weeks ago

Jaguarphd

Some grandmasters state they only do 4 moves ahead. Not a big deal if they can't do 8.

• 6 weeks ago

andre_cheong

Thanks, not bad. But I think tactics is another better alternativeSmile

• 6 weeks ago

iyahdub

3b1kn1/6p1/3q1p2/4pPP1/pP1pP1N1/3P1NQ1/1rr5/5RRK w - - 0 1

• 6 weeks ago

HaveAnotherGame

Thanks. Much Appreciated.

• 6 weeks ago

CMGuess

Can you post then FEN when you do these so I can check with computer? Thanks.

• 6 weeks ago

sherwin_

Mikhail Chigorin vs Siegbert Tarrasch
    Petersburg (Match) (1893)  ·  French Defense: Chigorin Variation (C00)  ·  0-1

Game 4

Precise Cheating Calculation

• 6 weeks ago

StevieBlues

Where is this game from? Thanks