Viktor Korchnoi Wins the Botvinnik Senior 2011

• NM GreenLaser
  • | Sep 1, 2011

One of the events of the Botvinnik Memorial held recently is a senior tournament. There were ten players in a round robin. Viktor Korchnoi came in clear first with 5 wins and 4 draws. The particpants are listed with their ratings, scores, and birth years: 1. Viktor Korchnoi (2553) 7 1931, 2.Evgeni Vasiukov (2455) 6 1933, 3. Lajos Portisch (2523) 5 1937, 4. Borislav Ivkov (2416) 4.5 1933, 5. Igor Zaitsev (2408) 4.5 1938, 6. Alexander Nikitin (2430) 4 1935, 7. Wolfgang Uhlmann (2379) 4 1935, 8. Oleg Chernikov (2402) 4 1936, 9. Anatoly A. Bykhovsky (2354) 3.5 1934, 10. Mark Taimanov (2386) 2.5 1926.

I have selected Korchnoi’s game with Bykhovsky to examine. Anatoly Avraamovich Bykhovsky won the Moscow Championship in 1963. He came in places 10-12 in the USSR Championship in 1965, when he was the only player not considered a professional. He was tied with Korchnoi and Simagin. Bykhovsky’s profession was secret space research. However, from 1967 to 1992, he was the trainer for Soviet juniors. During that time, he became an IM (1982). He has also written chess literature.

The game is a Scotch Four Knights. There are game references and notes. The ending concludes with a resignation. For readers needing to understand why a player resigned there is an explanation of why the game was lost. One of the most instructive things a reader can do is to try to think over the position before looking at the notes. This is true during the game as well as at the end.

Comments

MaxLangeIsGood

It´s game over for white. Long live Korchnoi!

karangtarunasemarang

Smile

OVAIDO

no is not draw because here

here if white play Kg3 black paly f4 and win

NM GreenLaser

cookie3, I always claim that I am still learning, not only chess, but other things, even how to be a person. Whatever your rating is, an important thing is to be more consistently performing at that level. Maintaining your level is necessary before improvement is evident.

cookie3

I guess I meant:  If V. Korchnoi can be his age and still play at his level (+2500), then that tells me he is still learning.  I always thought that players will basically stop learning when a certain age is reached.  Kinda tells me i was wrong!  I thought i might only be able to reach 1800-1900 level of play; but maybe +2000 is an attainable goal.  Anyways, in general, my goal is to improve.  And as long as I can continue to use good info from sources such as yourself, then i am on my way!  Thanks for your time and help!

NM GreenLaser

cookie3, good luck on improving, but Korchnoi did not become a great player after starting late. You can still enjoy and learn more. That doesn't necessarily mean your OTB rating will increase. One reason is that fogies (or is it fogeys?) are less capable of feeling well during every game. Another is simply the competition is also learning.

NM GreenLaser

Archaic71, twenty years is close. Taimanov was born in 1926 and Fischer in 1943.

Valeriyp

Pretty good style by Gr.V. Korchnoi, if i may say...

Archaic71

It looks as if Korchnoi is miles ahead of the rest of the old men.

Its kind of sad to see Taimanov in last place, but I guess the face that he is still playing at 85 is pretty impressive.  That means he was 20 years older than Fischer when he got blanked in the candidates match in 1971.

cookie3

The fact that Victor Korchnoi is basically 80  yrs old and still playing at a level over 2500 gives us older fogies who start chess late some hope that we can still become a good player!  Thanks for the game!

NM GreenLaser

Thanks for the correction readers. White resigned. I replaced the game with that corrected.

In case White wants to play 54.Bg1, if 53...f4 is the previous move, then it is check. The only legal move the bishop has is Bxf4. Otherwise, the king must move.

However, the attractive but questionable continuation 53.Kg3 loses and 53.B-move is much better.

lizardbill

Great game, but the comment below 52...h3 must be in error that black resigned.

Also I didn't see in the analysis about what might happen if white went 54.Bg1 or perhaps 54.Kg1. If white abandons his pawn he might be able to pick off the 2 black pawns for the draw.

GwasWagon

it says black resigned??

diomed1

Thanks for the game and the little endgame study also.