Is your chess style influenced by the stars?
Whether or not you believe in astrological horoscopes, synastry, or predictions based on the Zodiac, it is interesting to note that no chess World Champions have been born under the sign of Libra ......
Unofficial World Champions
1. Francois-Andre Danican Philidor - Virgo
2. Alexandre Deschapelles - Pisces
3. Louis-Charles De La Bourdonnais - Birthdate Unknown
4. Howard Staunton - Birthdate Uncertain - Aries or Taurus
5. Adolf Anderssen - Cancer
6. Paul Morphy - Cancer
Official World Champions
7. Wilhelm Steinitz - Taurus
8. Emanuel Lasker - Capricorn
9. Jose Capablanca - Scorpio
10. Alexander Alekhine - Scorpio
11. Machgielis Euwe - Taurus
12. Mikhail Botvinnik - Leo
13. Vasily Smyslov - Aries
14. Mikhail Tal - Scorpio
15. Tigran Petrosian - Gemini
16. Boris Spassky - Aquarius
17. Robert Fischer - Pisces
18. Anatoly Karpov - Gemini
19. Garry Kasparov - Aries
20. Vladimir Kramnik - Cancer
21. Viswanathan Anand - Sagittarius
22. Magnus Carlsen - Sagittarius
So, why no Librans at the top of the chess tree?
Is it because the astrologers say they always seek 'balance' and therefore tend to draw rather than win? Who knows...
In any case, the 2nd highest-rated player in the world right now is Levon Aronian, and he just happens to be a Libra - so maybe one day, if he somehow manages to beat Magnus Carlsen in a World Championship match - then our astrological chess collection will be complete.
(but don't hold your breath!)