Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

how to improve?

so anyway how does someone acttually improve and maintain your rating i feel that my chess game has improved nut i find that the more games i play well how does one do that help please

Comments


  • 5 years ago

    kirkland

    well look at lots of games played by masters and us normal prople ha ha ha.... get a book on openings that explain why or about the opening and why you would adopt it to your playing and well tactics and well anyway have fun playing chess if you dont enjoy it you may not improve

  • 5 years ago

    Elubas

    Yeah tactics are the most important early on. However, I think you can do fine with doing it online with not only tactics trainer but you can search for chess puzzles and there will be some taken from very high level games and if you strain your mind to solve any puzzle, it means you will learn something once you find the solution. Then to learn how to make plans, I think the best book for this would be how to reassess your chess and the amateur's mind by Jeremy Silman who tells you how to use key features of a position to form a plan. From there once that is mastered you can go over master games of someone you like and try to figure out why they played the moves they did which should be a big help to both tactical and positonal understanding. Endgame is also important too at least the ones where your side is way superior so silman's endgame course (I think silman is a great author) is a good book for that. You should pick an opening that fits your style and learn only some book moves and the general ideas of an opening since you want to learn the other stuff first. Finally you should always analyse your games first by yourself and then with a computer to see where you're going wrong when you actually play and how to fix that. A serious study of all of that will make you much better but it will probably take at least several months.

  • 5 years ago

    atomichicken

    No problem.

  • 5 years ago

    kirkland

    thanks a lot as i like playing against you two but wow i meen i really have to improve to match your level of play of course its still fun you know i have recommended to a few ive played on here to play you a game again thanks and wel play on thanks

  • 5 years ago

    atomichicken

    "thanks tactics i still need the book you told me about before so like chess puzzles and that kind of stuff becuse i ll do chess tactics on here and the computer one but right now it seems like i lose more than win some games becuse of just a stupid move but mostly oh how does one detend and attack at the same time"

    I can't remember the book but if it wasn't on tactics I was probably wrong. I advise you to switch to solving tactics from a book rather than online for 2 main reasons. Learning tactics is all about pattern recognition. Online you can't do the same puzzles again and again and so the patterns won't become entrenched into your mind as much. The positions from online trainers are also too random (they don't focus on any specific theme e.g. forks). When Solving from a book this is the method I recommend: To not move on from any chapter until you can literally do every puzzle from it with your eyes closed. This means going back and solving the same chapters again and again until the themes are embedded into your mind.

    About defending and attacking at the same time, the question is too broad and not specific enough to be answered I'm afraid.

    As well as using your study time to do about 90% tactics I suggest the other 10% be used on basic Endings (King and Pawn endings, Lucena etc..). I recommend for this to get Jeremy Siman's book "Silman's Complete Endgame Course". It won't hurt to throw in a tiny bit of Strategy and Openings but it's not essential..

  • 5 years ago

    TheAOD

    Learn some more openings and study the ones you know a few moves deeper.  it's an ongoing process.  You are improving pretty steadily so the biggest thing is to be patient and try to find your weaknesses.  There is a really useful book by Bruce Pandolfini I like called Weapons of Chess.  It discribes tactics and explains their use.  I'm not sure you aren't past most of the things in the book but it's an easy read.  I also like the Yasser Seirawan books...

     

    Anthony

  • 5 years ago

    kirkland

    thanks tactics i still need the book you told me about before so like chess puzzles and that kind of stuff becuse i ll do chess tactics on here and the computer one but right now it seems like i lose more than win some games becuse of just a stupid move but mostly oh how does one detend and attack at the same time

  • 5 years ago

    atomichicken

    Mostly solve tactics and lots of them.

Back to Top

Post your reply: