Well, my school's chess team's season is officially over for now (starts back up in the fall). It has been an exciting time for both me and the team. Because I couldn't find the time to post separate blogs for most of these events, I am going to post a summary of the entire season here. I will be listing them in the order that they happened.
- Became Board 1 of my school's team for the first time with a record of 9+ 0= 0- in the placement games. Quite a jump from being their Board 3 last year! Thanks to all who helped me improve enough to obtain that position!
- I placed 3rd in the Open section at our League's Ice-breaker tournament with a record of 2+ 2= 0-. This was my best performance up to that point at our league tournaments. I have a blog showing my games from this tournament. Our school team also grabbed 2nd in Open and 1st-4th in Reserve.
- Our school won our League for the first time since 1984! Our record was 6+ 1= 1- for our matches.
- At our League's end of the year tournament, I placed 1st in the Open section with a record of 3+ 1= 0-! I got extremely lucky with this placement... my second game was lost and I only won by luck... extreme luck (There is an interesting story involved with this game if you are curious). I drew my last game, but that was all I had to do to win, so I let that one be a fun winddown game. Our school also grabbed 1st, 2nd, and 4th in Reserve. One of our players also tied for 5th in Open, but he lost out in the tie-breakers.
- We went to States and our school team placed first in our section! I didn't do too well myself, unfortunately, (was in a chess slump) and went 3+ 1= 1-. We went there with only 4 players. Only your top 4 scores are counted in your cumulative team score. This means that the entire team (including myself) did well enough overall compared to our competitors :)
To summarize, our team won our League and won States... what more could we ask for? :)