If you haven’t had a chance to read my first blog post, Analyzing My Games #1, then you might want to check it out before you read this one. Read the top section and you should have a much better idea of what I’m trying to do here. Thanks for reading!
This game was played in the first round of quad #27. It lasted for 3 hours and 15 minutes and was 75 moves long. With a game that long, there were a lot of mistakes to go over afterwards. Tactics, of course, were still the deciding factor. I made quite a few blunders (the last of which allowed my opponent to draw in what was a completely lost position) and made even more inaccurate and passive moves. Even some of the blunders I made could have been avoided if I had just looked for a more active move. Despite the fact that I still make frequent errors in calculation, this principle alone could have helped lead me to some of the correct moves in these situations. In the future, I need to try to focus on putting my pieces on more active squares.
Also, I need to play for simple advantages when they present themselves, and not unnecessarily complicate the position hoping my opponent will blunder before I do. In this game, there were several instances were I could have won material or furthered my plans in a much simpler way than I did. I believe these things, combined with my horrible endgame play, caused me to draw a game I should have won. I have to give a lot of credit to Eternal_Patzer for fighting this one out with me to the bitter end. When fatigue was setting in (for both of us I’m sure) he held on, and played much better than I did. Here is our game: