Chess Facts related to Japan.
- During World War II, the Japanese confiscated chess books thinking they were military codes.
- In 1962, they held their first international chess tournament, organized by the Japanese Chess Federation, in Yokohama. It was won by the Japanese player Nobuhiko Sakaguchi.
- Their first national chess tournament took place in 1969.
- Shogi is a variant of chess that is more popular in Japan.
- The Japan Chess Association (JCA) was founded in 1968 by Yasuji Matsumato ( -2003).
- Japan joined the FIDE in 1968.