Forums

An article about Fischer by Garry Kasparov

Sort:
Raymond

For those interested in all things Bobby Fischer (or Garry Kasparov) the following article is worth the read:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/mar/10/bobby-fischer-defense/?pagination=false

Conflagration_Planet

Did Kasparov believe Fischer in his prime, could actually have beaten Woodshover?

psyCal
woodshover wrote:

Did Kasparov believe Fischer in his prime, could actually have beaten Woodshover?

dear god good sir do you think the human ficher could have ever beaten a god like him.... you, who are you??? it cant be woodshover the great and powerfull woodshover (bows down)

Conflagration_Planet
psyCal wrote:
woodshover wrote:

dear god good sir do you think the human ficher could have ever beaten a god like him.... you, who are you??? it cant be woodshover the great and powerfull woodshover (bows down)

Believe it or not, one, and the same.

psyCal

well i have to admit now after reading that article, I know now a hell of alot more about the unstable fischer

Conflagration_Planet

They're playing chess on the tube right now.  "King's rook to e3." Knight to c3+."   "We'll finish this game later."

1pawndown

Thanks, Raymond. I enjoyed the article. I was planning to read "End Game" and appreciate having Kasparov's thoughts. He was certainly generous toward some of Fischer's unfathomable rants. His sanity had to be gone when he made the post-9/11 statements.

WalangAlam

Every generation has a hero. Fisher was during his time. Kasparov dominated chess for almost 2 decades yet the myth of fisher lasted longer than kasparov's dominance. The characters of great chess players add beauty and drama to the monotone of chess moves.

Saint-Paulia

Excellent article, many thanks to the OP.

jwalexander

Excellent article. Those interested in Fischer would be well advised to enjoy it. It almost says as much about Kasparov given the kind sensitive appreciation of Fischer - faults and all - as it does about Bobby.

Saint-Paulia

Kasparov is an entirely likeable person. A real person (i.e. genuine). I watched him at the press conference today and at one point he begins to answer a question that was made in English in English, then catches himself and he has this engaging smile on his face.