Forums

Anad shows his cards, Carlsen refuses

Sort:
skittlemate

Here is a translation of the question that was asked to Carlsen in Norwegian.

"A question of Norwegian, Magnus, here on the right flank. Kasparov compared you with Harry Potter this week. Børge Stensbøl, senior manager in Norway, has previously compared you with Petter Northug and winning mentality. What do you feel the same equation is most aptly? "

I think that Carlsen found the question a bit embarrasing, so he decided to reply in Norwegian.  His reply was

"I prefer above all to be compared with living people, not characters from a book, so I will say Petter Northug."

bean_Fischer

Anand shows his cards. Carlsen shows his girlfriends.

rishi2377

Thanks Matthew :)

Yaroslavl

bean_Fischer wrote:

Anand shows his cards. Carlsen shows his girlfriends.

Anand would show his girlfriends, but then his wife would show him her lovely property settlement agreement attached to their final decree of divorce.

ClearIce
royalbishop wrote:

Who cares Anabd is getting desperate. Ederly man .... his nervs not like the way he used to be. Can we get a close when he makes his moves. I believe we will see slight shaking of the hand.

"Ederly?" "nervs?" At 43 Anand is hardly 'elderly,' but I imagine he can spell Laughing, even tho' English is not his native tongue.  Of course, I have the perspective of 65 years . . . not to mention the memory that Lasker at age 67 was rated seventh in the world at 2691 in 1935.  In 1924 when he was 55 Lasker came out of retirement to place 1st in the NY International, ahead of both Capablanca and Alekhine. Elderly?  My Aunt Fanny! :D

toiyabe

00oo00o0

AnastasiaStyles

We might see a shaking of the hand all the same, such as before and after each game :p

letsgohome
DavidStyles wrote:

We might see a shaking of the hand all the same, such as before and after each game :p

Which can only be expected

bachofchess

Extremely interesting news: Carlsen had only ONE second, which was Norwegian GM Jon Ludwig Hammer, who is also one of Magnus best friends. So I think Carlsen then had very good reason not to give away this information during the match. Also, i find it very impressive that he had only one second. See also the link here [ http://www.nrk.no/sport/carlsen-hadde-kun-kontakt-med-en-1.11376623 ] (in norwegian, but perhaps for the interested, google translate could fix this for you). :)

SmyslovFan

This was a mistranslation, bach. Carlsen admitted to one, but used the plural, to suggest there were others he wasn't listing.

varelse1

Fischer rarely employed seconds. And when he did, he didn't use them.

I guess Magnus and Bobby are just cool like that.

Shivsky

Did Carlsen or GK ever say why they ended their "coaching" relationship?  Wonder if Carlsen just likes to figure things out on his own ... 

McHeath

I read recently that Kasparov as coach had got on Carlsen´s nerves because he was too demanding. No idea if this is true or not, or in which sense "demanding" was meant.

bachofchess

Here is quite detailed information about the "breaking" between Carlsen and Kasparov. It's in norwegian, but perhaps google translate can fix this for you :) And yes, it's quite correct that Kasparov was demanding, and that Carlsen eventually wanted his own solutions, rather than following Kasparov.

http://www.vg.no/sport/artikkel.php?artid=10038571