Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Candidates 2012 to be held in London

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

TadDude

It is Chessbase but not April Fool's yet so it must be true.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7910

But the organizer is not from England so Michael Adams may not be the local entry.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

Vease

There isn't going to be a local entry, Radjabov was the 'Organiser's Choice' - quite right too as he's the no 5 ranked player in the world. McShane would probably have the best shot of the English 'elite' but he actually works for a living so I doubt he would have time to prepare properly. Gelfand is going to need two sets of prepared openings now after he loses to Anand!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

TadDude

Vease wrote:

There isn't going to be a local entry, Radjabov was the 'Organiser's Choice' ..

And you know this how?

Radjabov would be the Organiser's Choice if organised in Baku, Azerbaijan.

Edit: Tempest in a teapot Radjabov already qualifies according to the chessbase article.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

Vease

I'm not sure how he wouldn't have qualified but the article says that Radjabov was 'a surprise' choice of the organisers...

Edit: I wonder why Topalov and Karjakin weren't invited, as the No6 and No7 currently rated players? Or Nakamura and Caruana who are provisionally 6 and 7 for the next list?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

Warbler

darn, no American in it. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

fabelhaft

Vease wrote:

I'm not sure how he wouldn't have qualified but the article says that Radjabov was 'a surprise' choice of the organisers...

Edit: I wonder why Topalov and Karjakin weren't invited, as the No6 and No7 currently rated players? Or Nakamura and Caruana who are provisionally 6 and 7 for the next list?

As last time the Azeris won the bidding and get to nominate the wild card, and also like the last time Aronian declared that he won't play in Azerbaijan, so it will be held in London instead (Kazan in 2011).

Post your reply: