Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Why is there a Women's World Championship?


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #181

    Monoceros

    waffllemaster wrote:
    Monoceros wrote:
    Elubas wrote:

    I'm sure many people, when I bring up male discrimination, think I am just trying to be difficult, nitpicking the tiniest problems. But to me, it's not subtle. Guys, how often have you seen, whether in life or on TV, a guy comforting a girl when she cries, but does the polar opposite when a guy does it?

    The whole concept of "be a gentleman" is something I have a problem with. The point is, you can treat a woman equally, repsect all of their rights, yet be called "not a gentleman" because you were supposed to treat them better than you would treat a male, not just equally. Sometimes, I think our society is conditioned, and, if unintentionally, taught, to be nicer, more lenient to girls than to boys.

    You simply don't understand it. A woman wants to have equal rights but not treated equally. If I'm carrying something heavy, it makes me happy if a man offers me to help, for me it's heavier than for him. If we walk I want the man to adjust the speed to mine and not leave me behind (and yes that actually did happen so now and then, with the argument that their legs were larger and thus it was difficult for them to walk at my speed and that I just had to adapt to them - losers!).

    As for the crying part, I would try to comfort a guy aswell. But it might be a no no for a relationship if he does that to often.

    When it comes to 1 on 1 relationships society can shove it lol.  The important thing is to communicate the things that are important to you, and if you find someone who respects that you can have a good relationship.  Don't play society games... the man should carry this or that.  If he thinks it's important to you, he should offer, and if he doesn't offer and it was important to you, then you should talk about it and he should understand :p

    I agree with most of this post :).

    Also to clarrify I don't think that the man has to carry everything. If there are three things, I'm happy to carry one, it would be insane to let him carry all three things. I just think that the man when he is stronger should offer help when heavy things are carried. Like I said earlier the same for old people and children. Do you offer help as an adult when you see a child of 8 carry something heavy and he/she cleary has difficulty with it? What if the person is 90? I certainly hope so, why is it then for some man suddenly a problem when the person is a woman?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #182

    waffllemaster

    ciljettu wrote:
    waffllemaster wrote:
    ciljettu wrote:

    Actually, wafflemaster, the gender pay gap myth has been debunked plenty of times but if you think it is necessary to mock men to cure some perceived past grievances then go ahead.

    Well, see, that's what I'm talking about... you read into things too much / take things too far.  But again I agree with you in principal.

    It is your double standard that I find a bit irritating. If I point out an anti-female stereotype that is a serious horrible thing. 

    If I point out an anti-male stereotype I am being oversensitive/taking things too far or "misogynist".

    Well, I didn't call any stereotype this or that other than to agree they're both wrong.

    What I find a bit irritating is it seems you go over the top to make your point.

    Yes, discrimination against a man or women is wrong. The fact that injustice towards women in the past and in present day does exist does not in any way take away from your argument that it is also wrong to treat men this way.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #183

    Elubas

    Because, Monoceros, when the child is 8, the message is "he is weaker than you, so you should help him"; when the adult is a woman, the message is "she is better than you, so you should serve her."

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #184

    trysts

    batgirl wrote:
    trysts wrote:

    I had to think about this a bit, so sorry for the delay. I think I agree with you.

    I hope you're not an anomaly!

    Laughing

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #185

    trysts

    Elubas wrote:

    Because, Monoceros, when the child is 8, the message is "he is weaker than you, so you should help him"; when the adult is a woman, the message is "she is better than you, so you should serve her."

    Hilarious!Laughing

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #186

    waffllemaster

    Monoceros wrote:

    I agree with most of this post :).

    Also to clarrify I don't think that the man has to carry everything. If there are three things, I'm happy to carry one, it would be insane to let him carry all three things. I just think that the man when he is stronger should offer help when heavy things are carried. Like I said earlier the same for old people and children. Do you offer help as an adult when you see a child of 8 carry something heavy and he/she cleary has difficulty with it? What if the person is 90? I certainly hope so, why is it then for some man suddenly a problem when the person is a woman?

    Because he wants to feel loved and respected too :)  If he doesn't carry them, tell him how you feel not what you expect of him.  If he respects your feelings then you'll have a good relationship. 

    If he had a problem with helping you out hopefully he'd know enough about himself to say he just wants to be respected too and maybe past women have made him feel like a pack-mule (or something heh) and then you can respect that about him etc etc Wink

    If either of you are a jerk because you don't respect your partner, then the relationship ends (hopefully) sooner or later.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #187

    Monoceros

    Elubas wrote:

    Because, Monoceros, when the child is 8, the message is "he is weaker than you, so you should help him"; when the adult is a woman, the message is "she is better than you, so you should serve her."

    That I don't understand. Why would a woman be better than a man?

    I can't believe that most woman think that. Offcourse there will always be persons who think they are better than others, but they are from both genders. You have woman who think they are better than man, man who think they are better than woman and even people who think that they are better than everyone. That has nothing to do with gender.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #188

    Monoceros

    waffllemaster wrote:
    Monoceros wrote:

    I agree with most of this post :).

    Also to clarrify I don't think that the man has to carry everything. If there are three things, I'm happy to carry one, it would be insane to let him carry all three things. I just think that the man when he is stronger should offer help when heavy things are carried. Like I said earlier the same for old people and children. Do you offer help as an adult when you see a child of 8 carry something heavy and he/she cleary has difficulty with it? What if the person is 90? I certainly hope so, why is it then for some man suddenly a problem when the person is a woman?

    Because he wants to feel loved and respected too :)  If he doesn't carry them, tell him how you feel not what you expect of him.  If he respects your feelings then you'll have a good relationship. 

    If he had a problem with helping you out hopefully he'd know enough about himself to say he just wants to be respected too and maybe past women have made him feel like a pack-mule (or something heh) and then you can respect that about him etc etc

    If either of you are a jerk because you don't respect your partner, then the relationship ends (hopefully) sooner or later.

    True enough. Don't worry I don't tell them that they have to carry it. What I did tell someone was that I simply could not walk that fast, that my feet hurt after walking so long (I had blisters and everything) and that I felt that they didn't care about me as I walked meters behind them the whole day and they didn't bother to slow down. They came to the conclusion that I moaned too much and just should buy better shoes (aka sporting shoes, which is ridiculous if you expect a relaxing day out) as they claim they cant adapt their speed to mine as there legs are too long  That kinda ended the friendship (combined with similar incidents). As a 1.62 = 5.3 feet I do not want to be treated as the same was as a 1.90 = 6.3 feet person. I can't adapt to their speed, I simply can't, they however have to slow down to my speed or I will not be able to enjoy the day and the friendship will slowly stop.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #189

    waffllemaster

    Monoceros wrote:
    waffllemaster wrote:
    Monoceros wrote:

    I agree with most of this post :).

    Also to clarrify I don't think that the man has to carry everything. If there are three things, I'm happy to carry one, it would be insane to let him carry all three things. I just think that the man when he is stronger should offer help when heavy things are carried. Like I said earlier the same for old people and children. Do you offer help as an adult when you see a child of 8 carry something heavy and he/she cleary has difficulty with it? What if the person is 90? I certainly hope so, why is it then for some man suddenly a problem when the person is a woman?

    Because he wants to feel loved and respected too :)  If he doesn't carry them, tell him how you feel not what you expect of him.  If he respects your feelings then you'll have a good relationship. 

    If he had a problem with helping you out hopefully he'd know enough about himself to say he just wants to be respected too and maybe past women have made him feel like a pack-mule (or something heh) and then you can respect that about him etc etc

    If either of you are a jerk because you don't respect your partner, then the relationship ends (hopefully) sooner or later.

    True enough. Don't worry I don't tell them that they have to carry it. What I did tell someone was that I simply could not walk that fast, that my feet hurt after walking so long (I had blisters and everything) and that I felt that they didnt care about me as I walked meters behind them the whole day and they didn't bother to slow down. They came to the conclusion that I moaned too much and just should buy better shoes (aka sporting shoes, which is ridiculous if you expect a relaxing day out) as they claim they cant adapt their speed to mine as there legs are too long (I'm 1.62 = 5.3 feet and they are around 1.90 = 6.3 f). That kinda ended the friendship.

    Heh, girl or guy, if I had a friend who woudln't even bother to walk with me and when I asked them to they said I complained too much I'd probably stop being their friend too Tongue out

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #190

    trysts

    ciljettu wrote:

    Monoceros I can fully understand your points. I am only too happy to do do things like carry heavy stuff or slow down etc.

    The reason men like me and Elubas get slightly tetchy when discussing these issues is that modern feminism has been politically quite effective in granting special privileges to women but whenever men are at a disadvantage (eg. longevity or family courts) nothing gets done about it and it is considered politically incorrect to raise these issues. If a sport or competition existed that was dominated by women, I very much doube there would be special prizes for men.

    Nevertheless I don't let these issues influence my private life and I try to help everyone whenever i can.  

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #191

    theoreticalboy

    That milk should be spilled, trysts.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #192

    Monoceros

    ciljettu wrote:

    Monoceros I can fully understand your points. I am only too happy to do do things like carry heavy stuff or slow down etc.

    The reason men like me and Elubas get slightly tetchy when discussing these issues is that modern feminism has been politically quite effective in granting special privileges to women but whenever men are at a disadvantage (eg. longevity or family courts) nothing gets done about it and it is considered politically incorrect to raise these issues. If a sport or competition existed that was dominated by women, I very much doube there would be special prizes for men.

    Nevertheless I don't let these issues influence my private life and I try to help everyone whenever i can.  

    True enough Smile.

    As for chess I'm not sure what to think about it yet.  I do think there should be things done to stimulate woman for playing chess. It's still seen too much as a man sport and people will look weird at you if you play chess as a woman. However I also do think that the different treatment is a bit weird. The woman titles are so much easier and woman only tourneys are a bit weird. I think it would be far better to find some other way to increase the amount of woman who play chess, but I can't think of a good way myself.

    For myself I play otb since september and  all rated games that I played (15 orso) were against males.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #193

    trysts

    theoreticalboy wrote:

    That milk should be spilled, trysts.

    Boy you type fast, TB!Laughing

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #194

    theoreticalboy

    trysts wrote:
    theoreticalboy wrote:

    That milk should be spilled, trysts.

    Boy you type fast, TB!

    What's really funny about that is I only use two fingers to do so.  I'd be really at home on a typewriter.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #195

    waffllemaster

    How sensitive of you Trysts, I'm sure ciljettu will respect your opinion.

    Or you two will hate each other lol... not sure which Laughing

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #196

    pyrexjeff

    I think that it is wise to have seperate Championship for women...Because although I have always believed (and still do) that women are better thinkers than we are as men when it comes to emotional affairs, and Chess is at all times very emotional and dramaitic and very very fun(at times)...I have to be very careful when speaking about women, but, I will say that all of my life I have noticed that women have always had their own sporting activities, such as; track&field, basketball,boxing,etc..., So, why not chess? It makes sense to me...

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #197

    waffllemaster

    Violin was mean to say she's playing a sad song, mocking your post.  The baby pictures were to call you whiny/childish.

     

     

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #198

    waffllemaster

    ciljettu wrote:
    waffllemaster wrote:

    Violin was mean to say she's playing a sad song, mocking your post.  The baby pictures were to call you whiny/childish.

     

     

     

     

    I'm ok with that, though I'm certainly not the one who has been throwing the tantrums.

    Note more double standards:

    Men who sticks for men  - childish

    Women who sticks for women - great

    I didn't think her post was fair (I thought yours was well said).

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #199

    trysts

    waffllemaster wrote:

    How sensitive of you Trysts, I'm sure ciljettu will respect your opinion.

    Or you two will hate each other lol... not sure which

    Oh yeah, I forgot about wanting misogynists to respect my opinion. Stupid me figured there would be no point. Let's review, wafflemaster, the wonderful world of ciljettu!

    -Innocent people being accused of rape is pretty much the same experience as a rape victim.

    -Feminists are the cause of many problems in the world. {In fact, they make "men" like ciljettu want to "help" other "men" like ciljettu.}

    Clever boy. And very sensitive to the tidal wave of feminism which has changed the world entirely for the worst. The ciljettu support group is the hottest thing in this unjust world for males. He will support you and your penis through the barbaric dark age of male inequality.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #200

    waffllemaster

    @ trysts
    I was laughing because I know that you guys shared that lively debate in that other thread (maybe there were more than 1?) and so likely had no respect for each other Innocent

    In those cases I thought he went over the top.  I thought his recent post was good and level headed.


Back to Top

Post your reply: