Forums

2014 U.S. Championship Chess set

Sort:
Rishi9

I was looking at pictures from the US Championship going on right now and it looks like House of Staunton sets have come to the DGT chess boards.

The knight looks like it is from the Imperial set and the Rook seems to be the 1849 original Jaques design.

Hopefully only a matter of time before we commoners can use HoS or Jaques sets on a DGT.

Rishi9

Rishi9

The knight design is very distinct and well defined in this picture. 

Rishi9

It is House of Staunton Imperial Collector set.

Bronco

Frank Camaratta came up with the weighted DGT pieces for the 2013 Sinquefield Cup and again for the 2014 U.S. Championship .

http://uschesschamps.com/opening-festivities-kick-sinquefield-cup

dWF5Gt

She's got the multi-color nail polish deal.

Rishi9

There is a Sinquefield Commerative chess set on HoS site, but it is not DGT enabled. Maybe it is not financially viable to make them available commercially.

Here's Gata Kamsky with the Imperial Collector Chessmen.Very obvious in this picture.

Ronnee

That is my Preferred style for chess pieces . Love it Other shapes like dragons and vampires dont stimulate me to play chess.

Threebeast

I would love to purchase this DGT chess set if the HOS made them available to the public.

fcamaratta

The DGT-enbabled and weighted Imperial Collector Series Imperial chessmen (the ONLY weighted DGT chessmen) are avaailable from the House of Staunton as a special order. Wait time varies as these are ahnd-made to order.

ifekali

@fcamaratta

Can you please reveal how much are they weighted? What is the weight of the king?

The pieces are beautiful.

-Izmet

andy277

I thought I  had read that DGT-enabled pieces couldn't be weighted because the weights interfered with the sensors. But I guess it depends on what the weights are made of.

I've always believed that the collector series is one of the nicest sets available today, but I prefer the standard knights, not the imperial ones. Does anyone know if the US Championship sets had the kingside markings?

RoryNemo
ifekali wrote:

@fcamaratta

Can you please reveal how much are they weighted? What is the weight of the king?

The pieces are beautiful.

-Izmet

They are beautiful indeed, so classical.  One of my fantasies is acquiring a DGT board and pieces, I'm not good enough yet that I could justify it.

But I am also curious about the weight?

RoryNemo

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  Nice photos too, not a one over 160 kb. (Hint for the bizaare chess set guy.Laughing)

fcamaratta

The chessmen are comparable in weight to any so-called "triple weighted" set. The King is around 3.2 ounces, the Queen around. 3.0 ounces, etc. The most difficult to get weight into were the Pawns due to the lack of available rear estate, since the coils take up most of the available space. I was told by DGT on numerous occasions that the set couldn't be weighted. They were simply going about it the wrong way. The weight of these sets is quite substantial. Regarding the Knight style, the Classical Collector Series Knight is also available. That would be specified if the set is ordered.

fcamaratta

By the way, if you want the King side pieces (Knights and Rooks) marked with the traditional King's crown, you would need to order the set with Classic Knights. It is a $50 option. The Knights can't be marked at the present time due to the downward sloping head. I am working on designing a fixture that will allow me to mark them, but I'm not there yet.

fcamaratta

Just to clarify, it is the Imperial Knight that can't be marked at the moment. I can mark the Classical Knight.

ifekali

I assume you filled the pieces with some kind of heavy nonmetalic compound?

I don't believe you added weights above the coils (that would render them unstable), right?

-Izmet

(I have some eperience with DGT coils, weighting them is tough, kudos! http://bestchessmenever.com/limited)

fcamaratta

Actually, I do use a metal. The weight is low in the base and surrounds the coil. Piece stability is the same as in any weighted set.

FrankHelwig

Nice to see @fcamaratta participating in this forum.

Hope you'll share some pics from your collection at some point... :)