Forums

2.77 Million Games - GorgoBase

Sort:
PossibleOatmeal

I created a database of 2.77 million games by combining all TWIC files since the beginning and all the files at PGN Mentor.  This should create a good mix of modern and historical games.  I ran basic dupe-checking on it but a few might have slipped through.  You can download the database in SCID format from my website at the top of this page:

http://gorgonian.weebly.com/pgn.html

fiolmattias

Brilliant! Is it possible to put a date for the last update next to the file so it is easier to see when it gets updated in the future?

PossibleOatmeal

Sure, I'll do that later today.

DrFrank124c

Thats a good website.  2.77 million games! And you can also play chess on that site. Looks interesting! I have book marked it and will go back later and take a more detailed look. Nice design also! Good luck with your website and thanx 4 putting on the internet! By the way, I have downloaded one of the flashcards. How do you open it?

PossibleOatmeal
DrFrank124c wrote:

Thats a good website.  2.77 million games! And you can also play chess on that site. Looks interesting! I have book marked it and will go back later and take a more detailed look. Nice design also! Good luck with your website and thanx 4 putting on the internet!

Thanks.  The play live chess thing is just lichess.org embedded into my website, nothing unique.

DrFrank124c
pawpatrol wrote:
DrFrank124c wrote:

Thats a good website.  2.77 million games! And you can also play chess on that site. Looks interesting! I have book marked it and will go back later and take a more detailed look. Nice design also! Good luck with your website and thanx 4 putting on the internet!

Thanks.  The play live chess thing is just lichess.org embedded into my website, nothing unique.

How do you open the flashcards after you download them?

PossibleOatmeal

The flashcards are for a program called Anki.  You need to download and install Anki, then you can import the cards.  Anki is absolutely fantastic flash card software, highly worth a look on its own.

PossibleOatmeal
fiolmattias wrote:

Brilliant! Is it possible to put a date for the last update next to the file so it is easier to see when it gets updated in the future?

I added the requested info in the form of which the latest TWIC number was that was added to the database and the date of that TWIC file.

fiolmattias
pawpatrol wrote:

I added the requested info in the form of which the latest TWIC number was that was added to the database and the date of that TWIC file.

That is perfect, thanks!

PossibleOatmeal

You're welcome.

Toire

Is it possible to change the format of the database from Scid to PGN?

EscherehcsE
Trevor-D wrote:

I don't know if the OP will be willing to do this, but I should mention that everything about the PGN version is larger and slower using Scid/ScidvsPC. The uncompressed PGN file is almost 5 times larger than the uncompressed Scid files. My laptop (older and not very fast) took almost 7 minutes to load the PGN file into ScidvsPC versus about 12 seconds to load the Scid file. Plus, the PGN file is read-only in Scid/ScidvsPC.

I can't see any advantage to working with PGN files, unless you can't use Scid/ScidvsPC for some reason.

baddogno

This looks to be very useful.  Thanks!  I'm really tired of waiting for PGN databases to load in HIARCS.  Maybe it's time to go Scid vsPC...

Toire
EscherehcsE wrote:
Trevor-D wrote:

I don't know if the OP will be willing to do this, but I should mention that everything about the PGN version is larger and slower using Scid/ScidvsPC. The uncompressed PGN file is almost 5 times larger than the uncompressed Scid files. My laptop (older and not very fast) took almost 7 minutes to load the PGN file into ScidvsPC versus about 12 seconds to load the Scid file. Plus, the PGN file is read-only in Scid/ScidvsPC.

I can't see any advantage to working with PGN files, unless you can't use Scid/ScidvsPC for some reason.

I was looking for a PGN file so I could import it into Fritz...maybe there is an easier way, I've never tried Scid...

EscherehcsE
Trevor-D wrote:
EscherehcsE wrote:
Trevor-D wrote:

I was looking for a PGN file so I could import it into Fritz...maybe there is an easier way, I've never tried Scid...

If you don't mind extra work, you could install Scid, open the Scid database with Scid, export the database to PGN, then import the PGN file into Fritz.

PossibleOatmeal

Yes, I recommend just using Scid to do the conversion for you.  PGN files are much larger and my upload speeds are not good on DSL (a one time upload is fine, but I plan to keep this database updated regularly, so it would be a recurring problem).

Toire

Thanks very much, EscherehcsE and pawpatrol, I'll use the method advised.

BlunderingBeaver

Thanks, I'm using this.

Did you consider adding games from ICCF?

PossibleOatmeal

I did, but I find that those games are a different type of game altogether, so I elected not to include them.

DrFrank124c

I have noticed that about 6,000 of the games have zero moves in them! How can I delete them from SCID vsPC?