Forums

A brithday gift - which one to choose?

Sort:
vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

Hello,

I'm just dealing with a hard task of choosing a book, which I will get for my birthday. My shortlist (not that short) is as follows:

- Silman's Amateur's Mind

- Silman's Complete Endgame Course

- Kmoch's Pawn Power in Chess

- Soltis's Pawn Structure Chess

- Fine's Ideas of Chess Openings

- Emms' Simple Chess

- Emms' More Simple Chess

- Watson's series on chess openings

Which one should I choose?

VLaurenT

Watson's series is 4 books : go for it ! Wink

vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

Thank you for your response. I've carefully taken a look at the Watson's series and decided that it may be too early for me to engage that deeply in the opening theory. At the moment I've shortened my list to three titles:

- Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess

- McDonald's Chess Secrets: The Giants of Strategy

Do you have any suggestions concerning the choice of one of these titles? Especially, is there any order of the level between them? (if so, I'd prefer to buy the most elementary one)

AdolfAnderssen92

Silman's books will be more helpful to you in my opinion.

Soltis and Mcdonald books are 1700+ stuff.

VLaurenT
Daimonion wrote:

Thank you for your response. I've carefully taken a look at the Watson's series and decided that it may be too early for me to engage that deeply in the opening theory. At the moment I've shortened my list to three titles:

- Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess

- McDonald's Chess Secrets: The Giants of Strategy

Do you have any suggestions concerning the choice of one of these titles? Especially, is there any order of the level between them? (if so, I'd prefer to buy the most elementary one)

I would recommend McDonald's book out of those three, as it features complete games with comments and some nice explanations of positional concepts.

Soltis' book is great but may be a bit advanced for you at the moment, and Kmoch's is great too, but really difficult to read Frown

Kasporov_Jr

your getting yourself a chess book for your birthday, and your a 1200....just lol

Pulpofeira

What is so funny, kid? If may I ask.

TheMushroomDealer
Kasporov_Jr wrote:

your getting yourself a chess book for your birthday, and your a 1200....just lol

Calm down... 

vfdagafdgdfagfdagafdgdaf

Well, I know that my chess.com ranking is low and, actually, I believe I am a bit better OTB (my OTB ranking confirms it). Anyway, I'd like to read these books to improve and I enjoy reading in general (not only on chess).

VLaurenT
Kasporov_Jr wrote:

So what ? Don't you like reading books when you pick up a new subject of interest ?

Pulpofeira

Don't you realize the only thing he's aiming for is to insult and annoy as much as possible?

RonaldJosephCote

The person who is insulting and annoying is KuzquaqN. He's got a Ronald McDonald avatar. He won't let hicetnunc and I post.

Pulpofeira

I'm talking about Kasporov, Ronald. Of course I'm not saying he's the only one ass**** in this site.