Forums

Advice on choosing a book

Sort:
AlbertBennett

I need advice on picking between two books, I'm torn between Larry Christiansen's Rocking the Ramparts and Attacking with Mikhail Tal. I don't know which is better they both have great reviews, I know Vukovic's Art of attack is highly recommended but also know the target range is to high for my level. I'm not sure on what my exact rating would be but I would consider myself an advanced beginner/early intermmediate. I'm getting ready to play in tournaments for the first time in my life in January and have a hard time creating attacks on the King and plan's in general. I'm fairly decent with tactics I just don't know how to put it all together into a game. So with all that said which book for my level would you recommend? If there is another book out there I dont know about also please throw that in as well. I also have The Amateur's mind by Silman but not sure if I should be studying that yet.

Thanks in advance.

Twinchicky

I have Attack with Mikhail Tal, and it is absolutely great. Even as an ~1250 player it is easy for me to understand. You have to pay real attention in the examples to look for concepts (How do I work around the knight on f6?), but it taught me just about everything I know about sacrificial attacks, especially directed at the opponent's king. (The player with the lead in development is obliged to attack!) I couldn't tell you about any of the other books, though. Hope this helps.

alec849
AlbertBennett wrote:

I need advice on picking between two books, I'm torn between Larry Christiansen's Rocking the Ramparts and Attacking with Mikhail Tal. I don't know which is better they both have great reviews

Attack with Tal is excellent also highly recommended is the book Study Chess with Tal that is co-authored by Alexander Kobolencs.

AlbertBennett

Thanks for the replies guy's, helped a lot! If it helped at 1250 then it should certaintly help me also as I would think that's the range I would be in. Thanks again. Also thanks for recommending the other Tal book, I'll have to look into that one also!

RulezSuck

I saw some fantastic chess books online on Chessbazaar.com, and on eBay? Feel like Chessbazaar.com has a very competitive rates. .

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Okay, what is your chess strength?  Visit www.chesszen.com, copy the PGN from an editor like Chessbase, paste it, enter your email it, and upload it.  It's paid after the first one, but it's only $1.20 USD for four games since it's 40 cents per game.  Upload at least 10 games over 30 minutes pers side that you played, 5 wins 5 losses though upload more with that ratio if you want to.

The playing strength estimations are usually accurate, it claimed a 2100 I played played like a 2088 and I have scores from 1600 to 1950. 

Okay, if your rating is class D and below read Chirnov's Logical Chess Move by Move and fix your thinking process.  Organize your thinking system and evaluate all checks, captures, and threats. Study a basic chess endgame book such as 100 Endgame Positions You Must Know or Silman's Endgame Course.  Of course always do tactics. 

If your strength is over 1400 read My System and Bronstein or Najdorf's 1953 Zurich books.

Get the Tal book first then the other one.  Knowledge isn't enough, you need to automate skills.