Forums

Books for a complete begneer(1000ish)

Sort:
abhijeetace

I have been playing the game by complete instinct. Want to know how I should improve it. Have no theoritical knowledge. Will reading chess.com articles prove useful?? Someone suggested to me bobby fiser for books. 

MCBeaker

NM Dan Heisman has this list of books, organised by skill level.

https://home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm

abhijeetace

thnx...thinking of starting with buying this book...Logical Chess Move by Move - Chernev  what do you suggest?

slaysicilian

I suggest for you to read Bobby fischer teaches chess.

TMHgn

Logical Chess MbM is a very good book, I own it myself. It gives you a very good idea of what to do and not to do in the opening and in the middlegame. You will learn a lot from the games and its annotations. I would highly recommend it.

Rishi9

Practice Tactics. Join chess.com membership for tactics trainer.

Get books by Dan Heisman and Silman.

Since you are from India, very popular book is,Your first move by Sokolosky. Should be available on flipkart or snapdeal.

Instead of logical chess, get Mammoth books, Mammoth book of Chess and Mammoth 100 Greatest games.

Rishi9

Since we are discussing Books for beginners, a few questions.

In what order should one read Dan Heisman's books ? Some of his books, like 2nd book of chess have out of print and not issued in kindle. Is it because they are replaced by newer titles ?

TMHgn

Lol, you recommend Dan Heisman books but ask in which order they should be read? It does not give your recommendation much credence.

Having said that, I have several of his books and they are all excellent. In my opinion the order does not really matter. Guide to Chess Improvement is good if you are really serious about chess. Worlds Most Instructive Amateur Games is a very good game collection and annotations of amateur games and their typical mistakes and problems. As a beginner, you will find yourself in this book many times.

If in doubt you can write directly to Dan Heisman. He is a member of this website and obviously knows best which of his book suits your present stage of development.

CrazyJae
[COMMENT DELETED]
t_taylor

Chess tactics for students by john bain is a good starting book for basic tactics. Also chesstermpo is a free website for tactics.