Forums

Books you've read at least twice

Sort:
Retrodanny

I'm reading Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics for a second time. Which books have you not only recommend but have read more than twice? (any chess subject)

fyy0r

Simple Chess - Michael Stean

iotengo

I haven't read that many books overall, so the only one I've read more than once is Tigran Petrosian: His life and games by Vik Vasiliev (and it's absoluetely excellent - I believe Silman said somewhere that his copy eventually fell apart from the number of times he read it).

johnmusacha

I've read "The Art of Combination in Chess" by Eugene Znosko-Borovsky twice and I think it helped me immensely. 

Crazychessplaya

Euwe's The Development of Chess Style. About how chess strategy changed since Greco's time.

electricpawn
fyy0r wrote:

Simple Chess - Michael Stean

Simple Chess, The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov, Crime and  Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky, probably others I don't remember. I always thought it was interesting that the Russian word used for crime also meant transgression. I'd love to read both in Russian, but I'm too lazy to learn the language ):                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

johnmusacha

Well, I've also read "How to Reassess your Chess" by J. Silman in the Third (1993) and Fourth (2010) editions.  It's not really like reading the same book twice since the Fourth ed. was quite different, even down to the author's recommended "thought process."

Plus the Fourth ed. contains an appendix on the author's experience with drug and LSD use in professional chess in the 1960's and 1970's that I found quite entertaining!

Clavius

Silman's Reassess Your Chess (3rd) and Averbakh Advanced Chess Tactics.  Among non-chess books A Separate Peace (quite different reading it in high school and then 25 years later) and Lord of the Rings trilogy (at age 13 and 18).

TheGrobe

The Grapes of Wrath.

ILBCNU

The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy- all 5 of them

ILBCNU

Oh, and also Chess To Enjoy, by Andy Soltis

corrijean
schacci wrote:

The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy- all 5 of them

Me, too.

When I was in grade school, I read a book more than 30 times. Then I lost count. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley.

electricpawn

My dad had this Civil War book that I read over and over. Lots of maps and pictures, and quite good, but I don't remember the title.

TheGrobe

Hmm, most read book, that's a tough one. I always went for breadth over depth. I may well be The Grapes of Wrath at a modest three times.

NimzoRoy

I wish I had time to read many chess books twice, inc game collections of Alekhine, Capa, Smyslov, Fischer, Pillsbury, My System and Chess Praxis by Nimzovitch and many others - but I still have many unread books such as game collections of Karpov, Kasparov, Gligoric, Tal, Petrosian, Lasker and middlegame books by Romanovsky, Soltis, Euwe and many more unread works (sigh)

And then there are all sorts of unread novels, short story and novelette anthologies and works of non-fiction gathering dust in my library not to mention tons of stuff already read I'd re-read if I had the time (sigh)

TheGrobe

I may have read Animal Farm more than three times, but I can't actually recall.

PawnPromoter316

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, a Pulitzer Prize winning classic

ivandh

"We" by Evgeny Zamyatin, a brilliant little book.

Hitchhiker's Guide, two grillion times.

The Lord of the Rings I have read twice or three times.

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, thrice or four times.

AndyClifton

Oh yeah, Mother Night is tremendous!

johnmusacha

Ah, Mother Night.... great book!