Forums

Books you've read at least twice

Sort:
CalamityChristie

"Dubliners" sounds like something i should know about ... haha!

bigpoison
Metastable wrote:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Smileys People (and the rest of the series too)

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Men of Mathematics (E.T. Bell)

East of Eden

That's two more on my list.  I only read Zen that second time though, because I had no idea what the hell was going on after that first reading.

East of Eden, though, is probably in my top ten favorites of all time.

fburton

Just remembered, I've read most of John Wyndham's best known books at least twice - Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos, etc. 

bigpoison
Bardu wrote:
electricpawn wrote:

It's hard for me to say one author of all the authors I've read is #1, but I could easily make the case for Dostoevsky. Isn't it interesting how he seems to have developed the concept of the ubermench in this book which was written roughly 3 generations before Nietzsche? Have you read The Brothers Karamazov?

I've never heard of the ubermench, I will have to look into that. Yeah, I've read The Brothers Karamazov, that is probably my favorite book by Dostoevsky/anyone. It will make you laugh, cry, and think and everything in the middle. It is a very spiritual book! I prefer Dostoevsky to alot of other authors I've read because of the depth of his characters (well, insights into psychology or philosophy) and also his fascination with the dark side of human nature. I've only read Crime and Punishment, Brothers Karamazov, The Idiot, and Notes from Underground. I also enjoyed Dead Souls by Gogol. I have War and Peace sitting on my shelf and it will be one of the next couple books I read. Haven't read any Tolstoy before.

Awright!  So, who the hell killed Fyodor Pavlovich?

bigpoison
nategauth wrote:

i couldn't disagree more with andyclifton. portrait of the artist bored me for the most part until the end of chapter 4 where stephen has his awakening at the shore. and nothing in that book touches ulysses

Oh, yeah, right on!  And, ya' know what's even better than Ulysses?

Finnegan's Wake!!!!!

TheGrobe

The book no-one's read even once.  (Anyone who says they have is a bloody liar).

bigpoison

Canadians...always screwin' up my jokes.

uhnttgaae
TheGrobe wrote:

The book no-one's read even once.  (Anyone who says they have is a bloody liar).

not very many people have read and digested the entire book, but there are passages in it that almost every joyce fan has read, especially the anna livia plurabelle section. plenty of people devote lots of time to studying the book (which is worth doing), here's a good collaborative effort to annotate the entire text:http://www.finnegansweb.com/

goldendog
TheGrobe wrote:

Add the suspect member above who said he's read Paradise Lost more than once.

uhnttgaae
goldendog wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

lol why would you assume he's lying about that?

actually you're right, it's highly unlikely that anyone has read paradise lost more than once even though it's one of the most thoroughly studied works of art in history

electricpawn
nategauth wrote:
goldendog wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

actually you're right, it's highly unlikely that anyone has read paradise lost more than once even though it's one of the most thoroughly studied works of art in history

I read Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained and most of Milton's sonnets. I only read them once, but I have re-read parts of them. Milton's accomplishments as a poet are so great that they're hard for me to describe.

ivandh
nategauth wrote:
goldendog wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Studying a book is different from reading it.

uhnttgaae
ivandh wrote:
nategauth wrote:
goldendog wrote:
TheGrobe wrote:

Studying a book is different from reading it.

haha i'm not going to bother asking how you study a book without reading it. if people didn't read milton for pleasure then his name would have been forgotten a long time ago. you guys are ridiculous

ivandh

T-boy does a much better job of being pompously indignant.

Crazychessplaya

Do we count, ummm, "magazines"?

uhnttgaae
ivandh wrote:

T-boy does a much better job of being pompously indignant.

i mean what you said was really stupid. usually i ignore people like you, but i was annoyed that someone was being called a liar for saying he liked john milton and i felt like defending him

goldendog

Give those yahoos hell!

AndyClifton
nategauth wrote:
i don't care for dubliners. the work of a young man who would someday be world champion

World Champion of what?...disappearing up his backside?

AndyClifton
ilikeflags wrote:

dubliners is a great intro for the less savy reader and deep enough for the know-it-all.  i love it.  i love teaching it and reading it.  its simplicity is nearly perfect.

It's boring, plodding and dull.

AndyClifton
ilikeflags wrote:

ben stiller is worse than snakeface

He is not!  snakeface is worse!