Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess birthday gifts

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Davidjordan

My birthdays coming up and I just wanted to put together a list of some chess stuff I wanted and to see if yo guys could help add, takeout and adjust my list

1. CT Art 3.0 (software)

2. Kindle/Nook (program)

3. Official FIDE/USCF rules book (book)

4. Mega Database 2011 (chessbase software)

5. Chess Assistant 11 (software)

6.Hoyle Puzzle & Board games 2011 (software)

7.Majestic chess (playing program)

Future stuff: Things i'm aiming or hope to get in the future when I have enough money numbered from most important to least

1.Mac computer

2. Life membership to FIDE

3. ICC memebership

4. chesspublishing membership

5.opening master gold membership plan

6. chess.com platnium membership

P.S. to be honest my mom will only tell me to chose 3 or 4 of the 7 main items I want so I need help deciding that to.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

jetfighter13

dont get any of them, study the old fasion way with a board and by playing games, the only exception might be lifetime fide membership

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Davidjordan

yea i agree the lifetime thing is a musty but r u sure about not getting anything else

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

Martin_Stahl

Unless you are planning on becoming a tournament director you don't really need the Official USCF rules. It doesn't hurt to have it but you can get everything you really need from online. If you plan on being a TD then you are required to have it.

You could probably get away with mostly free resources on the database, engine and tactics side too. At least until you get to be a much stronger player.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

easylimbo

i would get a bunch of books

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

Quasimorphy

I've played chess on the Nook Color.  I don't know if more than one chess program is available for it, but the one I played is weak and has very limited options. The Nook is a nice device though.

Hoyle Puzzle and Board 2011 has more one star reviews on Amazon than all the other reviews combined, so that may not be a great choice.

People on Amazon seem to like Majestic Chess pretty well.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

SmokeJS

Based on this thread I took a look at fide.com to learn more about life membership. I was hoping to learn about costs and benefits. But I didn't see anything. Anyone have a link with more information?
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

pksunilkumar

Life time FIDE membership ?..?.! ok.. I will talk to them if I can see them. Until then stay happy, your Birthday is coming.Cool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

trysts

7. A new car!

8. A two-bedroom house!

9. Two acres of land!

10. A trip to Amsterdam!

Just tell your mom you need these things, so you can get better at chessSmile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

jetfighter13

Davidjordan wrote:

yea i agree the lifetime thing is a musty but r u sure about not getting anything else

if you cant get good without them what use are they, also wouldnt you rather spend that money on a girl... oh wait wrong person to give the last part to... wouldnt you rather spend that money on tournoment entry fees and fide membership

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

Martin_Stahl

SmokeJS wrote:
    Based on this thread I took a look at fide.com to learn more about life membership. I was hoping to learn about costs and benefits. But I didn't see anything. Anyone have a link with more information?

The USCF offers lifetime membership ($1500).

I'm pretty sure you can't get FIDE memberships; FIDE members are national organizations that then can run FIDE ratable events by paying the appropriate rating fees (for the USCF that means a USCF TD pays the appropriate fees to the USCF who pays FIDE and the TD has to follow FIDE rules for their tournaments).

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

BigLew

Hey, my Birthday is November 25th too!

You don't need ICC membership! Are you too upity to hang with us here at chess.com?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

Davidjordan

BigLew wrote:

Hey, my Birthday is November 25th too!

You don't need ICC membership! Are you too upity to hang with us here at chess.com?

No not at all just wanna expand my horizon.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

Arctor

You definitely don't need Megabase...or any of that other software really except maybe CT-Art. A chesspublishing membership isn't essential either. Get an ICC membership (and use it) as soon as possible, it will help your game tremendously. A kindle might be handy if, like me, you're often too lazy to read traditional books. And can't you access the FIDE rulebook online?

Really though, I can't think of a better chess related gift than a nice new board and set

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

Bronco70

Here's some thoughts and options for you:

Chessmaster 10 for PC- $10 at office depot

I would skip the Kindle/nook. If you get an ipad(cheaper than ipad2) you can always download kindle or Nook apps. I've got the nook app and it works great! Maybe look at an ipod touch. There are alot of great chess apps for ipod/ipad (stockfish,shredder,chess.com, smartchess(has interactive chessboards inside of chess books)) There are about 25 chess books at ibooks also.

Mac computer is good for playing at chess.com and other stuff, but there isn't alot of options for chess software for it . I think only shredder,stockfish and chessmaster(hard to find it for mac)

I would get the chess.com membership for all the videos and tactics.

Good luck!

Post your reply: