Forums

chess master 10th edition disc 2

Sort:
nerdly36

This is not a "reply" since this discussion has skirted my problem.. whichis that I need to know how to inform Chessmaster (the game) that the "CD" is ON the hardrive (laptop has no CD drive).  I've looked everywhere, after installing the (one?!!) available "patch".  Having installed from the three CD's copyed onto the HD, all I get, after the patch (which implies a new ability to tell the game about another location for the CD, all I get, upon startup is a message that the drive is not present.

Please advise!

EscherehcsE
nerdly36 wrote:

This is not a "reply" since this discussion has skirted my problem.. whichis that I need to know how to inform Chessmaster (the game) that the "CD" is ON the hardrive (laptop has no CD drive).  I've looked everywhere, after installing the (one?!!) available "patch".  Having installed from the three CD's copyed onto the HD, all I get, after the patch (which implies a new ability to tell the game about another location for the CD, all I get, upon startup is a message that the drive is not present.

Please advise!

Well, I don't know how you'd install Chessmaster in a PC that doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Clearly you could buy an external CD/DVD drive, but maybe you could install it with a virtual drive program.

Anyway, assuming you have the US version Chessmaster 10th Editiion, there are actually three patches, which must be installed in numerical order:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/397550-Chessmaster-10th-Edition-Downloads?s=7ca911504273f0b608034c0eaffffb9a

RonaldJosephCote

Wow, he's a real neebie Escher. If the drive is NOT present, you did not copy anything. Its not Chessmaster, its your computer. It should specifically say RECORDER.                                                                                                                      

EscherehcsE
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

Wow, he's a real neebie Escher. If the drive is NOT present, you did not copy anything. Its not Chessmaster, its your computer. It should specifically say RECORDER.                                                                                                                      

Yeah, if he doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, he's likely using a cracked version off of the net. If he really has the disks, maybe he could take it to another computer and make ISO images of the disks, but he'd have to get around the copy protection scheme. I don't really know what his situation is. At any rate, he would have to install all three patches.

BZeranski

Setting up a virtual CD drive is the common way to install an iso when you don't have a physical cd drive. Google something like "extract .iso to hard drive" with the operating system you are using (windows, mac, linux) and you'll find a number of choices.

EscherehcsE
BZeranski wrote:

Setting up a virtual CD drive is the common way to install an iso when you don't have a physical cd drive. Google something like "extract .iso to hard drive" with the operating system you are using (windows, mac, linux) and you'll find a number of choices.

I'd think that if he can get ISO images into the virtual CD drive, he has it made. I just don't know how he'd get the ISO images off of the copy-protected disks, especially without a physical CD drive; ...Unless he's using a cracked ISO from the net.

RonaldJosephCote

He "might" be able to get away with something like this;Undecided                                                                  

EscherehcsE
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

He "might" be able to get away with something like this;                                                                  

Yeah, an external CD/DVD drive would be the simplest solution. Just install the program from the external drive, install the three patches, and he'd never need the external drive again.

BZeranski

He said the CD was "on" the hard drive already.  *If* the files are already on his hard drive, then he doesn't need an external CD. But Nerdly36 needs to comment.

RonaldJosephCote

If he goes to the Chessmaster site, there should be a "contact us" or an E-mail.....Undecided

EscherehcsE
BZeranski wrote:

He said the CD was "on" the hard drive already.  *If* the files are already on his hard drive, then he doesn't need an external CD. But Nerdly36 needs to comment.

Yeah, by him saying that the CD was on his hard drive, I don't know if he means that he just copied a CD ISO to the hard drive, or if he meant something else. You actually have to install the files to the hard drive using the setup program.

RonaldJosephCote

Another possibility is that Nerdy bought the computer from a schister who said; "Oh yeah, Chessmaster's allready on there"WinkWink

batgirl

It's all so Escheresque.

EscherehcsE

The time may be close at hand...

A shrinking supply of CM disks for sale...

Too many unsupported OS versions...

CD/DVD drives disappearing from PCs...

Numerous broken links for CM add-on files...

Sometimes I think all of us CM owners should just have a meetup somewhere, start a big bonfire, burn the CM disks in a ritual ceremony, and be done with it.