Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess openings book for beginner-intermediate player

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

KrazyPwnage

I am looking for a good chess openings book to start out with. I have been playing my whole life but only for fun. The only book I have ever read is boobby fisher teaches chess. I have a 1350 online rating. I have been looking at Fundamental chess openings and the complete e4, but I would like some advice either way. Also while you are here what are some good midgame/endgame books as well?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

plevanto

I'm in no way affiliated with this site but I have the diamond membership which gives you access to the Chess Mentor. There are several Chess Mentor courses which give you a nice introduction to an assortment of openings. After that there are dedicated courses to the most popular ones such as Rudy Lopez, Najdorf, Dragon etc. I learned a lot from those courses and keep going back. All the best to Iceland from icy Helsinki!

Pessi

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

mitchellhan

How to play against 1.e4 (french.. cough! french!)Wink

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

MCBeaker

Do you know the basic principles of openings? If not, start there - have a look at the Study Guides from this site.  I wouldn't spend a lot of time on specific openings, you're likely to be out of book VERY quickly and so the time is best spent on other topics, specifically tactics.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

Crazychessplaya

The four volume set is okay for starters:

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

fburton

Even before you start on books about specific openings, it might be worth learning / reviewing your knowledge and understanding of the principles behind the openings. One of the best (imo) books of this type is John Emms' Discovering Chess Openings: Building Opening Skills from Basic Principles, published by Everyman Chess.

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Chess-Openings-Building-Principles/dp/1857444191

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

farbror

I think this book is perfect for almost anyboby:

http://blog.chess.com/farbror/paddy-patzers-pile-of-books-chess-openings-for-kids

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

Crazychessplaya

Beginner opening books... Let me see...Oh, here you are:

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

DrSpudnik

That position looks like a big smile! Smile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

DrSpudnik

Memorizing strings of opening moves will not really benefit a beginner.

Here are few things to look at:

Blunders and how to avoid them (Angus Dunnington)

Gambit Play (also by Dunnington)

and a book like Zurich 1953 or 500 Master Games of Chess to see how GMs play.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

CrecyWar

At your level (our level), opennings would be one of the last things you would study. Stick to Tactics, then consider Endgame, Middlegame/Stretegy and last Opennings. Undecided

Post your reply: