Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess Tactics Books


  • 21 months ago · Quote · #1

    Digisoul

    Hello everyone! This is my first post on your website. I really got bored from several theoritical chess books and I want some books that contains tactical or strategic puzzles. I am thinking of purchasing "Winning Chess Tactics" from Seirawan" but I am not so sure if this is what I want. I have somewhat experience about tactics solving so this book can give me a big part of good tactical puzzles? Or it contains only theory and few "easy" tests? To sum up, have you other books recommendations?

    Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english -.-

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #2

    Scottrf

    Try http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Scratch-2nd-Understanding/dp/1907982027/ref=pd_sim_b_4

    I have the older edition and it has good explanations and examples, then a few exercises to work through.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #3

    Digisoul

    Scottrf wrote:

    Try http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Scratch-2nd-Understanding/dp/1907982027/ref=pd_sim_b_4

    I have the older edition and it has good explanations and examples, then a few exercises to work through.

    Thank you very much for your help! What I want is practical excercises with several puzzles not examples about tactics. About what difficulty are the puzzles that contains the book you recommend? :P

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #4

    Scottrf

    Maybe it's not right for you then, it's not really a puzzle book, there are only a few exercises per chapter, unless you work out the positions as you come across them. Probably an intermediate book.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #5

    Digisoul

    So, have you other recommend? I prefer books that are in print, not from stock because are more difficult to find :/

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #6

    fredm73

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #7

    fredm73

    Also, you can find sets of puzzles in pgn format on the web. Download them into a db like SCID or some other viewer.  This is easier than using a book, IMHO.

    http://www.clarksvillechessclub.org/Downloads.htm

    http://www.gambitchess.com/semi/db6.htm

    many other sources via Google.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #8

    Quasimorphy

    Here are a couple more books that have a lot of exercises. I'm not familiar with the Neishtadt book( http://www.newinchess.com/Improve_Your_Chess_Tactics-p-949.html )that fredm73 recommended, but I'd suspect these are a bit easier. You can take a look at the sample pages and decide which is more appropriate for your strength.

    http://www.newinchess.com/1001_Chess_Exercises_for_Beginners-p-965.html

    http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Tactics-Champions-step-step/dp/081293671X/ref=pd_cp_b_1

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #9

    romanenko

    I have "Winning chess tactics" and consider it to be a great book. It has a lot of tactical puzzles (136 if I read the solution page correctly) and he explains all the tactical ideas in a rather short and easy way. I also have Yakov Neishtadt's "Improve your chess tactics" that was mentioned above. This book contains over 700 puzzles but I'd go with "Winning chess tactics" if I were you.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #10

    sirness

    Practical Chess Exercises by Ray Cheng is my favourite book on puzzles, it is not easy as he doesn't give clues, it is more realistic as you don't get clues in real games either :D

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #11

    jbird39

    CHESS by Laszlo Polgar has 5334 problems,combinations and games.

    It will keep you busy for awhile.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #12

    zborg

    • Paul Littlewood, Chess Tactics, (1984, and reprinted).

    150 pages of bite-sized exercises.  Will quickly make you USCF 1600.

    Lot's of other fine books available, but Littlewood is the "fastest" for increasing the playing strength of new players, IMHO.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #13

    MSteen

    John Bain's Chess Tactics for Students is just fantastic, IMHO. It has 434 problems in it, organized by theme.

    The only "weakness" it has is that it gives too many hints. However, you can overcome that by cutting a 5x8 notecard to show just the problem and cover up the hints. I did that for a while, and then I just cut up the entire book and put all 434 problems on 3x5 notecards with the solution written on the back. It took me over a month, but now I have a GREAT collection of flashcards! I carry a chunk of about 50-60 with me all the time and just leaf through them at odd times.

    Anyway, back to the recommendation: Get this book! It is something not only to learn from but to review constantly to keep yourself sharp.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #14

    Noreaster

    MSteen wrote:

    John Bain's Chess Tactics for Students is just fantastic, IMHO. It has 434 problems in it, organized by theme.

    The only "weakness" it has is that it gives too many hints. However, you can overcome that by cutting a 5x8 notecard to show just the problem and cover up the hints. I did that for a while, and then I just cut up the entire book and put all 434 problems on 3x5 notecards with the solution written on the back. It took me over a month, but now I have a GREAT collection of flashcards! I carry a chunk of about 50-60 with me all the time and just leaf through them at odd times.

    Anyway, back to the recommendation: Get this book! It is something not only to learn from but to review constantly to keep yourself sharp.

    I will second this recomendation. I can work through this entire book in about two hours now from so much repetition. After you have Bain's work engrained then just move on to more difficult tactical works. Bain is your foundation......

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #15

    breakerofwind

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #16

    NimzoRoy

    Digisoul wrote:

    So, have you other recommend? I prefer books that are in print, not from stock because are more difficult to find :/

    You must not be looking in amazon and eBay, to mention just a few online book dealers who have PLENTY of OP books available

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #17

    Bronco70

    I like this one. It's a point system for figuring out two questions per puzzle. 1) what's the best move 2) what is the tactic and why.

    http://www.amazon.com/Pandolfinis-Chess-Challenges-Winning-Endgames/dp/0375722068/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355107560&sr=1-24&keywords=pandolfini

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #18

    hakim2005

    Chessimo


Back to Top

Post your reply: