Forums

Chronos Chess Clocks are Back!!!

Sort:
MikeH76
Chronos are way overrated. They are a nightmare to program and are too expensive. Now, this is a real beauty. Look at the new ZMF pro chess clock. http://www.uscfsales.com/catalog/product/view/id/14246/s/zmart-pro-metallic/category/40/
ipcress12

Zmart is making a downright naked attempt to take the Chronos market away. A pity it is priced so close to the real Chronos.

guardianx9

the zmart matellic at priced 100 might as well buy the chronos gx.. 

TundraMike

What happened to the clock by ACE & Shelby?  Thought it was suppose to be in production by now?

Samkwon

I dont know what u guys are talking about I own a Chronos and the are the best chess clock ever!!

ipcress12
HoeYifan wrote:
ipcress12 hat geschrieben:

Zmart is making a downright naked attempt to take the Chronos market away. A pity it is priced so close to the real Chronos.

you can definitely put it that way. on the other hand, many people have suggested larger displays on the chronos, and so one could argue that they merely listened where chornos chose not to.

The real problem was the Chronos people were MIA for over a year and it was near-impossible to buy a new clock or repair an old one.

IOW, it isn't just a matter of a larger display.

ipcress12
Samkwon wrote:

I dont know what u guys are talking about I own a Chronos and the are the best chess clock ever!!

You might not say that if you bought a new clock for $109 and it died within a month and you weren't able to get it repaired.

ChessFan says this has changed and if so, I'm willing to forgive and forget but I sure felt burned.

RichColorado
[COMMENT DELETED]
ipcress12

Following ChessFan's advice I sent my dead Chronos clock to DCI in Mountain View last week with a note explaining when I bought it, how quickly it died, and a copy of my USCF invoice.

Just this morning my clock came back. Given the quick turnaround, I was pretty sure they sent it back with a regretful note explaining they couldn't do anything for me unless I sent them $40 up front and I was willing to wait 4-18 weeks for repair -- which seemed to be their previous policy.

However, to my pleasant surprise, I got back my old clock in working order with heartfelt, handwritten note in blue ballpoint pen.

"We hope you can find space in your heart to forgive us."

Furthermore they said "to advise anyone you know to send back to us any clock which has stopped turning on and there will be no repair charge if there is no user damage."

So I'd say Chronos is back and they are eager to satisfy their customers.

Welcome back, Chronos!

TundraMike

Well they are going to have a ton of competition for similar clocks at the $100 price point.  

ipcress12
bb_gum234 wrote:
MikeH76 wrote:
Chronos are way overrated. They are a nightmare to program and are too expensive.

The only people I've heard say they're difficult to program are people who've never programmed one, and so the tapping of the buttons seems like magic to them.

They're actually incredibly easy to program.

I've been programming personal computers professionally since 1986 and I consider the Chronos interface a recordholder for bad interface design.

De gustibus etc.

guardianx9

litlle 10 yrs old boy can program chronos... u should stick to programing and stay away from chess clock

ipcress12

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report. Run out and find me a four-year-old child.

Groucho Marx

ipcress12

The official Chronos manual is now 58 pages long! Here's the first page of the tutorial which doesn't get much further than explaining how to turn the clock on and off:

dwcofer

What is the purpose of setting a clock to "halt at end?" I think I understand what it means, but don't understand the purpose of doing so. 

Eyechess

US Chess rules have it so that if neither player calls that one player’s time has expired then the other player’s clock continues to count down when it is his move.  It is the players that are responsible for calling the time.

FIDE rules have it that when one player’s time expires the other player’s clock stops running down no matter what.  In FIDE the arbiter can and is supposed to call the time.

Optimissed

This thread is spam. Why wasn't it deleted?

TundraMike
Optimissed wrote:

This thread is spam. Why wasn't it deleted?

Why is it spam?  Nothing spammy about it. 

RichColorado

i like this clock . . .

Optimissed
DENVERHIGH wrote:

i like this clock . . .

Our chess club here in the UK used to own one. From about 1880. Called a Nodding Clock, I think.