Forums

Could you help me with books, please?

Sort:
MVlc

Well the only way to improve is on 3D real chessboard.

Computers do not help beginners

Fromper
MVlc wrote:

I disagree. Some people find that in order to get better at playing OTB, they have to practice using an actual chess set like the one they'll be playing with. Others find that studying diagrams or computer screens is just as useful as the real thing. I think it's something that's different in the wiring of different people's brains. Not everyone learns the same way.

Personally, I have no problem studying diagrams in books, using a computer for study, and translating those skills to OTB play.

Scottrf
MVlc wrote:

Lol.

stomenkalos

Well, I feel that reading the book while playing the moves in chessbase (if I can find a file for the book) really makes it easier for me to concentrate and is quicker too. However, I can tell that slowly it gets easier (even for me)  to visualize the moves and hopefully, with training, one becomes so familiar with the board that doesn't need pgn-book files or even...chessboard.

I also feel that it helps me alot not to play the variations, but only imagine them,whenever possible. Is it a good idea?

Reading at the moment my first descriptively annotated book (Reti's Masters of the Chessboard), I am really impressed by this descriptive annotation and actually love it. It makes me think more each move and maybe will help me visualize the board better. Maybe it's just my illusion, but after reading descriptive annotated games, it's easier to follow algebraic also,like it gives you more FEEL of the game generally. I don't know, sorry, I can't explain it.

I thank you all for replies!

kponds

Don't listen to the guy that said computers do not help.  I do prefer to work with a physical chessboard with most books, primarily for ergonomic purposes, but a computer is fine too.

Yes, I like descriptive notation better as well. 

GeorgeNC

I'm in the same boat with you and these are the books I found on your list the most readable -- and therefore, to me, the most useful:

Chernev - Logical Chess Move by Move
Nimzowitsch - My System
Chernev - The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played

It could be me but I like Chernev's and Euwe's writing style so I lean toward their works. On my study list but not on yours:

Chernev - Combinations
Chernev/Reinfeld - Winning Chess (Just out in algebraic notation by Batsford Chess)
Euwe - Judgment and Planning in Chess
Euwe - Strategy and Tactics in Chess

For what it is worth I have enjoyed all of Seirawan's books but especially his books on Tactics and Strategy as well as the intro book Let's Play Chess. Lev Alburt's Chess for the Gifted and the Busy I have also found very helpful. Also, for later, most of the guys around the club believe Lasker's books are also mandatory, particularly the ones on Openings and Endings. Hope this is helpful.

silvester78

If you prefer to study on a pc board you can try Chess tutor. It is the software version of the famous step method (που έχει αρχίσει να μεταφράζεται και στα ελληνικά). The first three steps are available. I'm working now through Chess tutor 2.

MVlc
Scottrf wrote:
MVlc wrote:

Lol.

what about it troll?

stomenkalos

wow! Thanks a lot to everyone for the recommendations! Let's keep it cool guys, we may have different opinions but no need for conflicts.

Ιδιαίτερα ευχαριστώ τους πατριώτες!

Keep 'em coming, with love and understanding!

stomenkalos

I'm about to finish Reti's Masters of the Chessboard. I really enjoyed this book, which includes great games of the old masters, 70 in total. Reti's comments are very instructive and not hard to follow for a beginner. However, what I most liked about this book, is that it gives you the opportunity of getting to know the great pioneers of chess and their basic ideas and principles, which are now common place. It's like the perfect introduction to the chess legends from 1860 to 1930, written by...one of them! I strongly recommend it to all new chess players.

I'll probably continue with Chernev's Logical Chess Move by Move together with Heisman's Back to Basics: Tactics which I already began studying and I find it really detailed and instructive.

Special thanks to hicetnunc.

RussBell

This list may be helpful....

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/good-chess-books-for-beginners-and-beyond