Forums

Good deals are out there

Sort:
Gomer_Pyle

I was supposed to post this over three months ago. That's not bad, I'm usually more tardy. Anyway, about a year ago goldendog mentioned how there were good deals on chess equipment to be had on ebay. I started keeping an eye out for things I would like.

Deal #1: I finally made an offer to HOS for a set they were discontinuing. The set was already sold out but, after some negotiations, I bought a 4.4" New York set/board/box combination. My pieces differ from the standard NY 1924 pieces in that they are antiqued. Now I see my exact pieces being sold as London Series Timeless for twice what I paid for my set/board/box combo package.

Deal #2: Ok, not much of a deal. I won a bid for the HOS Red Burl Fitted Coffer. My total, including shipping, was still less than the retail price at HOS without shipping.

Deal #3: Another good deal. I was saving my pennies to order a custom board from www.customchess.com when I saw one of their used boards on ebay. I won it for about a quarter what it would cost new and it's in very good shape.

In total I spent what my pieces and fitted coffer would cost new at current retail prices. For that price I acquired the 4.4" NY 1924 pieces of ebony and antiqued boxwood, a beautiful custom board, a decent tournament board, a red burl fitted coffer, and a mahogany premium chess box. My old set didn't have a board and box so now everything is complete and life is good. If you take some time you can find some very good deals out there.

I got this board and box:
NY 1924 set/board/box

I got these pieces and coffer:

And this board:

cryptic_cave

You're looking good. Craigslist is another place where deals could be had from time to time. I picked up a nice little magnet set for $10 usd. I do need to hot glue the little magnets back on two of the pieces and maybe get a replacement box latch, but it is rather nice for the price. I have not gone over to Ebay for chess stuff with any regularity. Anyhow congratulations.

goldendog

Wow Gomer_Pyle your equipment is just a little bit spectacular. It must be such a pleasure to push the pieces around on that board and hearing the solid little "pahs" as the pieces hit the board. Probably a little distracting to play on (I can stare a little at the pieces instead of the position when I use my fine sets).

I've been waiting 2 months to see your fitted coffer and pieces. Very sweet. Love it all, and the antiqued boxwood pieces looks great in it.

Now that you've shown me yours I'll show you mine (though not quite as fine).

A fellow on ebay made the box as per our agreed on specs. He used oak for the box and poplar for the two trays. I lined and  divided the trays in suede, and I installed the suede strips that keep the lid from flopping over. The top tray holds my Collector. The box will hold two sets.

Gomer_Pyle
cryptic_cave wrote:

You're looking good. Craigslist is another place where deals could be had from time to time...

Thanks. I haven't been on Craigslist much. I should probably check it out more often.

Gomer_Pyle
goldendog wrote:

Wow Gomer_Pyle your equipment is just a little bit spectacular. It must be such a pleasure to push the pieces around on that board and hearing the solid little "pahs" as the pieces hit the board. Probably a little distracting to play on (I can stare a little at the pieces instead of the position when I use my fine sets).

Thanks, I'm surprised my pictures came out as well as they did. I'm not much of a photographer. Even so, they still don't capture the real presence of the men and board. Playing on it is a real joy. It's like watching (and feeling, and hearing) a work of art unfold with each move.

That's a nice set and box you've got. I really like oak and it's cool it can hold two sets. Do you have plans to fill it with another set?

goldendog
Gomer_Pyle wrote:

That's a nice set and box you've got. I really like oak and it's cool it can hold two sets. Do you have plans to fill it with another set?

For now I just have a middlin' ebony set sprawled on some suede in the bottom tray. When I get another great set I'll custom divide and line that tray.

If I can someday talk myself into getting a nice Jaques antique ivory set, that's where it'll probably go.

goldendog

The home for my Collector II is a box that came with a Monarch set of men(from House of Jacques, on eBay, which was a Brooklyn-based great source of cheap, middlin' Indian chess goods).

The Monarch set was a gift so it's long gone but the nifty sheesham box securely houses my Collector II with double queens. Foam inserts covered in felt.

The hardware is cheapish but the box is actually well-crafted, and it looks good!

132J

Yea I agree.