Forums

Got about 20 chess books! still can`t improve!

Sort:
Miraj1991

wgm natalia pogonina had a article here regarding books and their good/bad impact I saw which is logical as she hails from russian school of chess..let me see

AndyClifton

Okay, is this some sort of test?  They appear to be completely identical.

Miraj1991

here it is 

http://www.chess.com/article/view/getting-better-in-chess-critical-mistake-to-avoid

it's not about books criticism though but using valuable time properly.

Miraj1991
AndyClifton wrote:

Okay, is this some sort of test?  They appear to be completely identical.

Yeah.Blame the System.

AndyClifton

I see (lol)

SirPeterRussell

If u suffer from some kinda inferiority complex related to chess or ever chess induced, you should watch this remarcable show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxTuRHlrYM .It features young American masters who are, for some reason, awful players (don't be distracted by the fact that the girls are OK). So if they can do it, then I can do it. Then why don't I put the game away and stop playing. Anyway... watch it, the closest thing to an adult movie that refers to chess!

Patscher

You are 1600 and already finish endgame course and how to reasses your chess? So you haven't studied them carefully, this is the reason you don't improve.

SirPeterRussell

U r right, Pusher. Or, if we put it in another way, I "studied" them, I didn't use them as training material, didn't build my chess thinking on the foundation of the books, etc., u r right.

Patscher

I was talking to the OP

galdave

Read the book chess for zebras!

reading books a lot and not eliminating your weakness and doing same error over and over again doesn't go your chess far, because stronger opponents will always find that for you and beat you..

you can't add a water to a bucket when your bucket is full of holes..

adding positives and substracting negatives is what Heisman always say..

Analyse your games first on your own, and show your analysis to stronger opponents or master.

cornbeefhashvili

Bottom line: learn to play "chess" as a whole. Chess is much more than the ever-changing opening theory.

Till_98

Hi, I can give you a offer. I you like you can send me some of your games you want to have analysed and I will send you an complete analysis of your mistakes and what you should have done better. I am rated close to 2100 Fide so I think I you could use some of my hints. Cheers, Till :)

DrNyet

Here's some advice I believe in, from one of the best chess authors:

"For Purdy the best type of practice was playing over master games and below is his method..."

Purdy's Chess Tips

scandium

Another relevant quote from Purdy: `The chief factor in chess skill is the storing of patterns in the mind, and the recognition of such patterns in actual play`. Makes sense to me, especially when applied to all 3 phases of the game.

I recall another tidbit (author I can`t recall), who stated that complicated looking combinations are essentially individual tactical components, that are put together and recognized on the board, from recall of the individual patterns stored in memory.

And one final tidbit, from another author I cannot recall: tactics form the backbone of chess strategy (meaning, I think, that you cannot fully grasp and apply chess strategy without a very good foundation in chess tactics).

Sum it all up and the statement that chess is 99% tactics makes sense - at least to me.

DeepNotBlue

You might be spending too much time on chess. That's how it was with me. When I stoppped playing for a couple days I got a lot better. But that's just me.