Forums

GREAT BOOK

Sort:
hhrman

THE PAPER BACK BOOK BOBBY FISHER TEACHES CHESS IS BY FAR THE

EASIEST TO USE AND HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO ME TO SEE CHECKMATE IN 2 OR 3 MOVES AND I RECOMMEND IT TO ANY CHESS PLAYERS WANTING TO IMPROVE!!

jdthompson
nimzovich wrote:

An excellent alternative is Chernev's and Reinfeld's "Winning Chess: How to See Three Moves Ahead."

While out of print, this oldie is divided into chapters covering pins, forks, double attack, discovered attack, double check, overworked piece, removing the guard, no retreat, skewer, queening combinations, back rank, breaking communication, surprise moves, combined operation, checkmate designs, self defense, followed by illustrative games.

I haven't read the book you posted about but Susan Polgar's Chess Tactics For Champions sounds very similar.

hhrman

I have had bobby fisher book 25 + years and loaned it to a friend @ work we play at lunch he's gone through the book 3 or 4 times & is seeing better & making less mistakes ... thanks to all for replies and comments. hhrman

hackcomic

the susan polgar books rule

PawnFork

With the Fischer book, I too think it's great.  It gets you into the habit of looking for mate and leads to more intuitive play.

Personally, I can go for any book of problems.  You can use the patterns you learn, and nothing helps you learn rough and tumble tactics like problems.

boredinhb

you smell funny

Hugh_T_Patterson

I recommend "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" to my beginning students, especially younger students because it cuts right to the heart of the matter. The "Chess Kids Book of Tactics" is also a good choice. The problem with many chess books, at least for newer players, is a lack of clear, easy to understand explanations. Fischer's book gets right to the point! Thanks for the posting!

CrecyWar

I have a signed copy. Btw I work near Beach & Telbert.

aidin299
The best point for beginning is tactics .....the first tactics which a newbe can learn and been motivated are checkmates......the most straight and uncomplex and understandable checkmates are those back rank mates. so Bobby's book is an excellent point for start !
VirtuaCop

Is there also a video about this book?

power_2_the_people

I have this book in a french translation. Very good.

Dadg777

Shouldn't this be in the Bump forum?  Kidding  Laughing

Chicken_Monster

That Fisher book is VERY helpful to me, as a relative beginner.

Chicken_Monster
Chicken_Monster wrote:

That Fisher book is VERY helpful to me, as a relative beginner.

I'm halfway through, and don't know what to read next though...

ParekhAbhishekN

I like the "Move by Move" series. Great way to learn.