Forums

How to Reassess Your Chess or The Amateur's Mind?

Sort:
jhreb

I know there are a lot of threads about these books, but I couldn't find one relevant to my specific question...

Anyways, I'm a 1700 USCF rated player, and I don't know which one I should get. I know many people believe that a player of my strength should read TAM first, but I don't want to read a book unless it's going to really help me.

So basically my question is can someone of my strength get away with just reading HTRYC (and possibly the workbook after), or is it important for me to read TAM first?

Thank you

cubis

It's not necessary, but The Amateur's Mind is a pretty good introduction to Silman's system of imbalances and will help you get a decent start in this system of thinking. Or so I've heard.

I'm finishing up TAM and probably going to start on HTRYC soon.

enprise1234

At 1400 USCF, I read HTRYC first and then TAM.  I think I read 2/3 of TAM.  I think this is a good order to read it.  First a good description of the imbalances (HTRYC) then seeing how amateurs use or don't use imbalances (TAM).

jhreb
idimayuga wrote:

At 1400 USCF, I read HTRYC first and then TAM.  I think I read 2/3 of TAM.  I think this is a good order to read it.  First a good description of the imbalances (HTRYC) then seeing how amateurs use or don't use imbalances (TAM).

That's interesting. Ever other post i've read about this says it's good to read TAM then HTRYC, but this makes sense too

TheChessJoker

Bro. I just got HTRAYC about a week ago. I started reading it and realized..It may a little too deep for me. However I'm still reading it. But I REALLY want to get  TAM and read it first. I saw a thread on Dan Heisman's site where Silman sent Heisman an e-mail and had the order in which to read his books. He said read the first 56 pages of HTRAYC and then read from cover to cover TAM. So... I'm just going to order TAM and read it first. Since i've already read 150+ pages of HTRAYC. Its a little deep and gives A TON of varations and takes a while to get through if you are really going to sit down and understand the information given. But Silman himself says to read TAM first after you read the first 56 pages of HTRAYC. Kudos Bro. 

zslane
That was back before the latest editions of both books came out. TAM changed somewhat between editions so that the 56-page suggestion no longer applies directly. I don't think Silman ever revised his suggested reading order since then, has he?
TheChessJoker

Im not sure. I got the 4th edition of HTRAYC and plan on getting the newest edition of TAM. I don't know if that one has been rewritten though. But I'm not sure if he has suggested a new reading order. But it seems like it would still be the same. I mean HTRAYC is more in depth than TAM. Obviously. I'm sure one could read HTRAYC and be fine. I would just rather read TAM first. But like I said in the earlier post I've read a good bit of HTRAYC. It gives Tons and Tons of varations. Its a great book though. 

RobertXue

I read both works when I was around 2000 USCF and neither seemed particularly challenging for a class B-A player to comprehend. I would recommend TAM first simply because of the greater volume of content in HTRAYC.

TheChessJoker

So someone at my level should just read TAM first Robert? Just asking to be clear. I was going to read TAM before I read HTRYC anyways. 

Casual_Joe

I have both books and I think HTRAYC is much more useful than TAM.  TAM has a lot less useful information in my view.

Robbie960

Haven't read TAM; read about half of HTRYC and had to return to library. Its not too difficult for an average player; just need to take the time OTB to work through it and digest. Plan on doing both eventually.

TheChessJoker

Yeah its not bad Hrobert. But I think one will get more out of it by going through TAM first. But you know..all personal opinion. I'm sure you could read HTRYC first and be fine. Personally I'm going to read a little of HTRYC first and TAM cover to cover then finish HTRYC. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me :P 

RobertXue
crooKed-KinG wrote:

So someone at my level should just read TAM first Robert? Just asking to be clear. I was going to read TAM before I read HTRYC anyways. 

In my opinion, it wouldn't matter much, but if I had to pick one I would start with TAM.

TheChessJoker
Casual_Joe wrote:

I have both books and I think HTRAYC is much more useful than TAM.  TAM has a lot less useful information in my view.

HTRAYC would be more useful for a tourney player I think. But yeah your right...Although TAM was meant to be read before HTRAYC.  For the AVERAGE player that is. I think HTRAYC was written before TAM anyways. 

TheChessJoker
RobertXue wrote:
crooKed-KinG wrote:

In my opinion, it wouldn't matter much, but if I had to pick one I would start with TAM.

Thanks Robert. You ever considered giving some lessons to patzers?