Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #161

Immoney5252

Nice to know hard work pays off!!!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #162

Bruch

Greenmtnboy wrote:
    orangeishblue wrote:
    Oraoradeki wrote:

My personal favourite is "Best Lessons of a Chess Coach" by Sunil Weeramantry (I think that he's one of Nakamura's trainers).

Or maybe his father

Sunil is a true genius and it was fortuitous that he married Nakamura's mom and then nurtured his talent through the GM category.    I took a few lessons from him back in the 70s and he was everything you needed in a teacher; creative, enthusiastic and brilliant.  It's just that the expense of quality teachers is not something everyone can afford.  

The best teachers I have had over the years have been truly open minded and brilliant pointing toward classical sources for the subject matter.  The worst have been peddlers of stereotypes and simple ideas.

I'm looking forward to reading this book!  It will be in my hands in about 1 week.  What can I expect to learn?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #163

nyLsel

"Chess training for Budding Champions" by Jesper Hall. A complete guide on practical training to become a master.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #164

nyLsel

I strongly recommend this book as this has almost all of what you should have learn. The book encompasses the:

Pawn-Structure, Mental Training, how to use the computer, how to analyze the games, how to play positional and basic positions and guidelines.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #165

jesterville

That sounds like a great book nyLsel, I will certainly check it out.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #166

Oraoradeki

Bruch wrote:
    Greenmtnboy wrote:
    orangeishblue wrote:
    Oraoradeki wrote:

My personal favourite is "Best Lessons of a Chess Coach" by Sunil Weeramantry (I think that he's one of Nakamura's trainers).

Or maybe his father

Sunil is a true genius and it was fortuitous that he married Nakamura's mom and then nurtured his talent through the GM category.    I took a few lessons from him back in the 70s and he was everything you needed in a teacher; creative, enthusiastic and brilliant.  It's just that the expense of quality teachers is not something everyone can afford.  

The best teachers I have had over the years have been truly open minded and brilliant pointing toward classical sources for the subject matter.  The worst have been peddlers of stereotypes and simple ideas.

I'm looking forward to reading this book!  It will be in my hands in about 1 week.  What can I expect to learn?

you can expect to learn about outposts, weak color complex, developing pieces, clearance sacrifices, taking advantage of lead in development, How to use 3 minor pieces to fight a queen, pawn chains, attack/defensive tactics, and a legit way to draw.

Sunil is an 1. e4 player (from what I see from his book), and he likes King's bishop fianchetto (or the "Indian style") when hes playing black.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #167

Immoney5252

Thanks^

• 23 months ago · Quote · #168

PAMetalBoss

The Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

• 23 months ago · Quote · #169

mldavis617

PAMetalBoss wrote:

The Complete Chess Course by Fred Reinfeld

That's an old book, but I cut my teeth on it decades ago.  I'm going back through it right now, trying to get back into the swing.  His game examples lack the source, and some are perhaps "created" for the purposes of illustration, but as a one book solution, I think it's a worthy candidate.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #170

Immoney5252

Have been making steady improvements in my chess...thanks to all!!!

• 6 months ago · Quote · #171

haystraylor

Bobby Fischer's 60 memorable games.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #172

orangeishblue

500 Games  of Chess Tartakower and Dumant

• 6 months ago · Quote · #173

Immoney5252

thank you

Post your reply: