Forums

If there were only 1 chess book you could reccomend what would it be ?

Sort:
splitleaf
fianchetto123 wrote:

if only one, get Polgar's "Chess" with like 6,000 puzzles and games in it. If you can only have one. 

Of the 27 chess books on my shelves (have read less then .27 of them) this is still the most invaluable .

Maybe if actually started reading more of the books in my library this would change, who can say.  Will always be one my favs tho. 

apawndown
[COMMENT DELETED]
SmyslovFan

The last book I'd recommend is a tactics book, regardless of how good it is. My favorite tactics book is the Encyclopedia of Chess Middlegames: Combinations by Informant. The problem with this and any tactics book is two-fold:

• there will always be mistakes in books printed before the computer age
  • More importantly, you can get better tactics training online for free!

Get a book you will use that is better than anything you can get online. For chess instruction, that's My System. For chess culture, get a great games collection such as Life and Games of Tal, Zurich 1953, Fire on Board, or Instructive Chess Masterpieces. Or, save money and get the Mammoth Book of the Worlds Greatest Chess Games. If you want to spend a some money on a great set that will last you a lifetime, get On My Great Predecessors.

Immoney5252

All responses are welcome by me and others im certain ....thanks to all in advance.......

almost over the 1700....hump

t_taylor

I started reading "Modern Ideas in Chess" and i am enjoying it.  It goes through some chess history and style of chess of different historical masters, which i enjoyed.Thanks pfren

mvtjc
AndyClifton wrote:

Lasker had the Chess Manual; Capa had Chess Fundamentals.

THIS!! Especially the great Capa'sLaughing

JessKidding55
pfren wrote:
ChesterGood wrote:

I don't necessarily have one book but I would recommend one author... Bruce Pandolfini.  He has written numerous books on chess basics that I found quite helpful and it was not too high brow to understand.  He was also the chess tutor in the Movie, In search of Bobby Fisher.  I DO NOT recommend they give his book to  kindergarden students though.  Usually they are still learning their alphabet and thus have trouble reading.

True. His books were extensively used in the former USSR. They were given to kindergartens, and kids made nice paper shuttles out of them.

Kingpatzer

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nunn's "Understanding Chess Middlegames."

It covers a lot of ground in a way that is completely accessable to the average class player. It's very well written. While it's not comprehensive, what is offered is entirely usable. 

Immoney5252
Kingpatzer wrote:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nunn's "Understanding Chess Middlegames."

It covers a lot of ground in a way that is completely accessable to the average class player. It's very well written. While it's not comprehensive, what is offered is entirely usable. 

Kool avatar...and also thanks for reply....astonished you read through all posts...

Benedictine

Hey, did you ever decide on what book to order or has this thread only dented your wallet?

Immoney5252
Benedictine wrote:

Hey, did you ever decide on what book to order or has this thread only dented your wallet?

lol....I have (2) thus far Polga'r page #7...and Max Euwe/Walter Meiden Chess Master vs. Chess Amateur...

the good thing is the thread doesnt go away...so I can always skim through and get book ideas....

Benedictine

Yes I have the Polgar book beside my bed. I use it as a reachable tactics book, general purpose, as well as letting it double for an offensive weapon in case of burglars (the thing is massive). I have the Chess Master vs Chess Amateur on my 'wish list' in Amazon as it sounds good.

The only thing I have against tactics book such as the Polgar one and any one of that sort, is for example out of the 5 thousand tactics in that book, 5 thousand of them are mates - i.e. attacking chess. So where are the defensive tactics? Still it is a good book because of the sheer numbers, but do these books only develop one side of our tactical game?

Immoney5252

I agree^...I guess he has one just as big for defensive tactics

Mandy711

I think you can borrow from the library most of the books mentioned in the thread. No need to hurt your wallet.

Immoney5252

^ Very true....did you have a book suggestion...???

Mandy711

The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. This may not be the best but it's enjoyable to read.

Immoney5252
Mandy711 wrote:

The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal. This may not be the best but it's enjoyable to read.

thank you

AndyClifton
Vease wrote:
-waller- wrote:

I have Chernevs "Most Instructive Games Ever Played", solely because my dad used to own it (he doesn't play much chess either), but I thought it was a half decent book. Certainly was fun to read through at least.

Yes, you can learn a lot of basic strategy from that book. The problem with Chernev is that he gives the impression that every game reduces to the conversion of a basic positional advantage to a straightforward win. He rarely gives any lines showing how the loser could have played better so you just get a one sided view of the game.

Yeah, that's definitely true.  I just read over that book again recently and noticed that time and again.  And saying stuff like "Already on the 5th move Black sows the seeds of his strategic defeat"...

AndyClifton
Mandy711 wrote:

Then again, maybe it is the best. Smile

AndyClifton
pfren wrote:

Any book on Capa is a sure shot. Even Chernev's on his 60 best endings. Factly, it may be the sole good book Chernev ever issued.

He did do at least one other enjoyable one (even though he did go a bit exclam-happy throughout):