Forums

Mark of Westminster

Sort:
wowiezowie

What do you think of the Mark of Westminster brand?  Does anyone have a story to tell?

wowiezowie

Nothing?  No advice?  Really??

AndyClifton

I am Andy of Westcoast.

goldendog

They had a few premium sets out there a few years ago but I think they left the high end market. Nice lines, and a pretty fine set.

goldendog

I see there are expensive MOW sets out there but old, refined designs as above seem gone. The MOW site hasn't been updated in many moons--I bet someone just bought their name?

Marcus_Leonardo_333

They are very nice, I have one of the Super Grand Series which is my go to tournament set.

Arctor

The thing that turns me away from many of these higher end sets is that they're almost always runied by one ugly ass piece. Most of the time it's the knight but often it's some quirky detail of the king or queen or a lack of attention payed to the rook design.

They should all strive to make their sets look like this... Innocent

wowiezowie

Honestly, I don't like the flimsy feel of that rook... to each his own, I guess. 

This is what I like...

AndyClifton

Every set shown so far has goofy knights...

kco
AndyClifton wrote:

I am Andy of Westcoast.

hey ! I am KC of the WestCoast.

AndyClifton

Aw come on, you're on the East Coast! (you're holding the map upside down again).

kco

Tongue out

wowiezowie

Show us a knight you like, AndyClifton.  The world is watching.  

goldendog

Tastes in knights vary as much as the designs it seems. Some can't stand anything beyond the simplest patterns:

HOS Liberty (from the Pinney sets starting in the 40s)

HOS Club Wooden, which is a knockoff of the plastic set the USCF sold for decades, and the knight of which (and the set generally) looks like the classic Lardy design:

All good, and for just playing a game I have no reservations using my HOS Club set. A universal design.

Still, I love the antique Jaques knights, and though some find knights with faces to be weird and ugly, this mammoth ivory knight would always be welcome in my home:

goldendog

The SuperGrand (post #4) MOW knight has its flaws in my opinion. The eyes look like little flapjacks laying on the knight's face.

AndyClifton

So far the only knight I've liked has been the second one in #17.  And thanks for the flashback to Chicago 68, wowiezowie (my head is still humming and it won't go, in case you don't know)...

bigpoison

The Irishman's knights are the best.

bigpoison

Bobcat

Impressive! I've always found the night interesting!Smile