Forums

my chess book collection

Sort:
Crapablanka

Hey guys, Matt here, i just had surgery yesterday, and im sitting at home hopped up on vicoden, so i thought i would take this oppertunity to share my collection of chess books with my friends here on chess.com (thats you guys).

1.Standard chess openings

2.nunns chess openings

3.starting out the pirc/ modern

4.starting out the caro-kann

5.starting out the ruy lopez

6.starting out the nimzo indian

7.starting out the sicilian

8.play the french

9. 7 ways to smash the sicilian

10. play the sicilian kan

11.italian games and evans gambit

12.how to win in the chess opening

13.pawn poewr in chess

14.complete book of chess strategy

15.chess strategy for the tournament player

16.lessons in chess strategy

17.mastering positional chess

18.the amatures mind

19.how to reassess your chess

20.the reassess your chess work book

21.the 7 deadly chess sins

22.my system

23.chess visualization course book I tactics

24.chess tactics for the torunament player

25.boby fischer teaches chess

26.chess tactics for kids

27.how to beat your dad at chess

28.chess tactics work book

29.practical chess exorcises

30.art of attack in chess

31.the king in jepardy

32.chess endgame quiz

33.just the facts

34.silmans complete endgame course

35.the immortal game

36/37. comprehensive chess course vol. I & II

38. mensa guide to chess

39. chess players bible

so there you have it guys, thats all the chess books i have collected over the years. feel free to critique my collection, ie wich books you think are just fat that needs to be trimmed, call me a jack @$$, or what ever. Im feeling the love today, lol.

MrEdCollins

Nice.

If you purchase ten books a year, on the average, for 38 years, your collection will look like this:

goldendog

I spy some old Chess Lifes even more than 38 years old, I believe.

MrEdCollins

Good eye.  I do have a lot of old back issues of

"Chess Review - The Picture Chess Magazine"
"Chess Life and Review"
"Inside Chess"

etc.

ChrisWainscott

The nice thing about all those books is how used they look!

MrEdCollins
EZap wrote:
MrEdCollins wrote:

Nice.

If you purchase ten books a year, on the average, for 38 years, your collection will look like this:

Is there "My 60 Memorable Games" and "The Pride and the Sorrow of Chess".

I have a two copies of Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games, one in paperback and one in hardback (and not the butchered new algebraic edition, but the old descriptive editions) but no, I do not have a copy of Paul Morphy: The Pride and Sorrow of Chess.  

aidin299
Mr Ed Collins , may I ask you to name those big tomes in your picture? I'm very curiouse about them. I can see one is Chess by Polgar , but I cant recognize others . Thanks
MrEdCollins

If you go to my website, you can see a high resolution photo of the books.

http://www.edcollins.com/chess/chess-books.htm

Click the photo for a high resolution pic.  (Note that your browser might be set up to automatically scale the image to fit the page.  If so, you should turn that feature off, to see the full image.)

I also list all of my books, by title, underneath the photo.

The large book directly next to the "Chess - 5334 Problems, Combinations, And Games" by Laszlo Polgar is "Pal Benko - My Life, Games And Compositions" by Pal Benko.

ChrisWainscott

Ooh...San Antonio 72...

Kingpatzer

I was going to be impressed with the collection until I saw Ray Keene titles in there :)

ChrisWainscott

I also have always loved Modern Chess Opening Traps by William Lombardy.  I read that one a lot as a kid.  I need to get another copy...

lucillec

So, where do you live and when are you not home?  ;-)

Seriously,  I am more than a little envious.  A litle curious also: What's been read and what hasn't?

vanjr1425

Question. How many times have you read each one? I am at the other end. Just starting out. I have read one and now asking Santa for another one this year. But I wonder how many I need or if I should just keep re-reading what I already have.

Minarima

You might want to pop some shims under your bookcases on the outer edges, to keep them level thumbup.png

Ziggy_Zugzwang
MrEdCollins wrote:

Nice.

I have a comparable collection I'm ashamed to say happy.png

magictwanger

First off....I wish you a full and speedy recovery.Other than that,a wonderful collection.Now make sure to absorb them,if the painkillers let you.-happy.png