Forums

My swell chess set

Sort:
NimzoRoy

The board is Teak/Bird's Eye Maple with 2.25" squares, with a 2" margin on all 4 sides, made in Spain. The set is the heaviest one I could find for under $200, the pieces weigh about 5 lbs. The King is 5.25" tall with a base diameter of 1.875",  Queen 4.5", Bishop 4", Knight 3.75", Rook 3.25" and pawns 2.75" tall with a base diameter of 1.375". I suppose I could try looking up who the hell I bought the set from if anyone is really interested...my buddy Pete is holding the board to give you an idea of its size

Lil_Munkey

Thats a lovely set you have there !

Scottrf

I'd be interested to know the seller, very rare I like the Knights on a chess set.

Lawdoginator

Very nice. 

jesterville

...nice set...I love the craftsmanship on the pieces.

nameno1had
NimzoRoy wrote:

The board is Teak/Bird's Eye Maple with 2.25" squares, with a 2" margin on all 4 sides, made in Spain. The set is the heaviest one I could find for under $200, the pieces weigh about 5 lbs. The King is 5.25" tall with a base diameter of 1.875",  Queen 4.5", Bishop 4", Knight 3.75", Rook 3.25" and pawns 2.75" tall with a base diameter of 1.375". I suppose I could try looking up who the hell I bought the set from if anyone is really interested...my buddy Pete is holding the board to give you an idea of its size

Teak and Bird's Eye Maple are very high quality wood types. I am willing to bet you'd pay a pretty penny for that, at a different place. I saw a similar(smaller) set made of inferior wood, for 2 1/2 times higher than the amount you paid. Yours is built very well. The border inlay in a nice touch. It would last for generations if cared for. If you aren't going to play on it, I don't blame you. If you are going to use it regularly, I envy the opportunity.

Bronco

Very sharp! Thanks for sharing.

zxb995511

Now THAT is a chess set! Makes me wanna analyze old Bobby Fischer games.

blake78613

What type of wood are the pieces?

DalaiLuke

beautiful ... 

NimzoRoy
blake78613 wrote:

What type of wood are the pieces?

Dunno, will try and find the paperwork on them but that could take awhile

Huskie99

Wow - very cool set.  Given the size of the pieces, it's probably also a good upper body workout to play games on that!  Smile

joebark

Beautiful!  Makes me want to build a set just like it.... 

OldScribe2010

A chess set you can be proud of.

baddogno

With all due respect, your board is too small and the pieces are too crowded.  A 1.875 base king demands at least 2 3/8" squares, and given the height of your pieces, 2.5" would be even better.  Sorry to rain on your adulation parade......

nameno1had
baddogno wrote:

With all due respect, your board is too small and the pieces are too crowded.  A 1.875 base king demands at least 2 3/8" squares, and given the height of your pieces, 2.5" would be even better.  Sorry to rain on your adulation parade......

Maybe thats his way of snubbing the J'adoube rule...

blake78613

It doesn't look that crowded.  A beautiful set.

nameno1had
blake78613 wrote:

It doesn't look that crowded.  A beautiful set.

I think that the space around the pieces is arbitrary for looking good. I guess if you sip vodka from your water bottle at tourneys, you'll want more space.

Nraja

very nice chess set!

JasonGillard

Wow - that's supurb!

Any issues storing the board, as it looks like one solid piece?