Forums

Name only one book that has biggest impact in your chess improvement?

Sort:
NimzoRoy
Jabba_The_Mutt

First chess book I ever owned, something by Euwe. Don't remember the exact name, but it was a rather general beginners book. Probably the only chess book I ever really studied thoroughly from beginning to end. Took me in a few months from losing to just about anyone, to beating all comers, including some ranked players, in my favorite pubCool.

purezen

Kama Sutra - showed me how to dominate my opponent.

DiogenesDue

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess.  It's not a high level book, but it teaches a player to think about driving for mate and how to force mate...first, second, and always ;).  Openings, middle game positioning, and endgames are secondary.  Nobody else seems to come at things from this point of view.  The "solve puzzles" format also has a big appeal to a chessplayer's mind.

I read it when I was 7, and it far and away had a bigger impact on my chess play than any other book since ;).

gnuvince

At the moment, I'd say Seirawan's Winning Chess Tactics.  I'm currently reading some strategy books and I hope those make a big impact.

purezen
rmurray wrote:
purezen wrote:
Kama Sutra - showed me how to dominate my opponent.

could you elaborate on this statement?

Sorry, but I don't mate and tell Wink

waffllemaster

I'd say Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual.  I certainly didn't retain even half that material, but it took my endgame skill from very poor to passable.  The great thing about endgame positions is the text variations are so much easier to visualize... so if only for visualization practice I got a lot of use out of it.

FrankBGambit

for me was only one book , was the openning book of Kings Gambit , is reason why i wanted to try play hss again, could i play a good kings gambit game and i hae enjoyed many an hour playing finding ou yes i can play a prety god kg game :) rofl.

TheBigDecline

Why the Knight is better than the Bishop - The Complete Unabridged, 16-volume lecture by GM W. Pennyshot

Stormstout

Irving Chernev - The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played: 62 Masterpieces of Chess Strategy

purezen
FrankBGambit wrote:

for me was only one book , was the openning book of Kings Gambit , is reason why i wanted to try play hss again, could i play a good kings gambit game and i hae enjoyed many an hour playing finding ou yes i can play a prety god kg game :) rofl.

Which King's Gambit book, who was the author?

aggressivesociopath

This thread is old, but I am surprised nobody mentioned the Road to Chess Improvement.

The_Aggressive_Bee

Find the Right Plan with Anatoly Karpov.