Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

New member needs opinions on this chess board.


  • 4 months ago · Quote · #241

    N2UHC

    BreedingSeason wrote:

    Back to the ugly chess board. Look at this shit. The contrast is striking. This board is old. Contrary to popular belief.

    You're not going to find one like this anywhere. Contrary to popular belief. The frame is a double L frame which hasnt been practiced in stone in over 50 years. The shade of the green onyx is premium high grade green Onyx that you might find 25 years ago. Rather than milky white green that can be found easily. Oh goodness, this thing is fine as stone chess boards go. 29.99. Steal of the week.

     

    Again, I do think the board looks nice unlike many others on this thread, but this is not necessarily old or valuable.  I've seen dozens of chess boards like this in Mexico, and this one, while I do think is pretty, is not necessarily unique.  And since you can buy a chess board with a complete set for $35, I think you paid a bit too much for the board alone at $30 unless you happen to have matching pieces or at least a metal set to play on the board with.

    Like I said, I bought a black onyx/marble set for $35, and while it's playable it is more of a display set.  It may not be every chess player's cup of tea, but I like it and it means a lot to me.  I certainly don't go around telling everyone that it's some rare, unusual, extremely valuable chess set and then get pissed off if someone says they don't like the design.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #242

    BreedingSeason

    N2UHC wrote:
    BreedingSeason wrote:

    Back to the ugly chess board. Look at this shit. The contrast is striking. This board is old. Contrary to popular belief.

    You're not going to find one like this anywhere. Contrary to popular belief. The frame is a double L frame which hasnt been practiced in stone in over 50 years. The shade of the green onyx is premium high grade green Onyx that you might find 25 years ago. Rather than milky white green that can be found easily. Oh goodness, this thing is fine as stone chess boards go. 29.99. Steal of the week.

     

    Again, I do think the board looks nice unlike many others on this thread, but this is not necessarily old or valuable.  I've seen dozens of chess boards like this in Mexico, and this one, while I do think is pretty, is not necessarily unique.  And since you can buy a chess board with a complete set for $35, I think you paid a bit too much for the board alone at $30 unless you happen to have matching pieces or at least a metal set to play on the board with.

    Like I said, I bought a black onyx/marble set for $35, and while it's playable it is more of a display set.  It may not be every chess player's cup of tea, but I like it and it means a lot to me.  I certainly don't go around telling everyone that it's some rare, unusual, extremely valuable chess set and then get pissed off if someone says they don't like the design.

    The board arrived Monday. I bought it on Ebay. You guys were right. It blows. It was chipped on two sides, not really noticable, scratched up all over the playing surface ( noticable). I was disappointed. The item wasn't nearly as described in " great condition". So I filed a dispute. My money plus shipping was returned and the seller did not even ask for, or want the chess board back. I guess I can use ot for a drink coaster or something. It's not worth fooling with to have it cut and polished. So it will sit there, or I'll give it away to a kid or something.

    So now I am on a hunt for a nice high end, stone , highly polished, board. Yes, in green and white. It's really not anything I need. I have a nice board and pieces. I would just like to have another board, in stone.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #243

    N2UHC

    I thought it would make a nice wall hanging for a game room.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #244

    htdavidht

    N2UHC wrote:

    I thought it would make a nice wall hanging for a game room.

    I don't understand this idea, you mean as a demo board? how you make the pieces to stick to a stone demo board?

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #245

    BreedingSeason

    N2UHC wrote:

    I thought it would make a nice wall hanging for a game room.

    My game room isn't finished quite yet, but that might be something to consider.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #246

    btickler

    Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #247

    BreedingSeason

    btickler wrote:

    Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

    I think I may have the issue solved. I'm trying to have one custom made. Triple level green marble frame, rounded corners. Raised 2 inch squares highly polished, mirror finish. I'm waiting to see if my request is accepted.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #248

    BreedingSeason

    btickler wrote:

    Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

    Wait a minute??? You have this board? Have a photo of it?

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #249

    N2UHC

    htdavidht wrote:
    N2UHC wrote:

    I thought it would make a nice wall hanging for a game room.

    I don't understand this idea, you mean as a demo board? how you make the pieces to stick to a stone demo board?

    No, I mean just hang the board itself on a wall.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #250

    htdavidht

    N2UHC wrote:
    htdavidht wrote:
    N2UHC wrote:

    I thought it would make a nice wall hanging for a game room.

    I don't understand this idea, you mean as a demo board? how you make the pieces to stick to a stone demo board?

    No, I mean just hang the board itself on a wall.

    Oh I see... I know the board is ornamental on function, but I don't know how it will look hanging on a wall as decoration... I have like another 100 better ideas for decorating walls. But I guess if it match the colors and style of the room, why no?

    Now if it can actually be reporpuse as a demo board, that would be a whole different deal.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #251

    btickler

    BreedingSeason wrote:
    btickler wrote:

    Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

    Wait a minute??? You have this board? Have a photo of it?

    It's in a closet, about 45 minutes away from my current domicile ;).  But if I remember next time I head that way, I'll post one.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #252

    BreedingSeason

    btickler wrote:
    BreedingSeason wrote:
    btickler wrote:

    Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

    Wait a minute??? You have this board? Have a photo of it?

    It's in a closet, about 45 minutes away from my current domicile ;).  But if I remember next time I head that way, I'll post one.

    I'd like to see it.

    I cant believe you have a beautiful stone board like that, from Athens no less, and don't use it.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #253

    btickler

    I collect chess sets but I would never play with anything but a very plain board and Staunton-ish pieces...it affects concentration/calculation in ways both overt and subtle ;)...

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #254

    BreedingSeason

    btickler wrote:

    I collect chess sets but I would never play with anything but a very plain board and Staunton-ish pieces...it affects concentration/calculation in ways both overt and subtle ;)...

    Doesn't do that to me. I say, you only live once. If it's something youre into and can afford it , get the best that strikes your fancy. Use it. Or someone else will, when you're gone. Maybe that's why I'm not a great chess player like you or my little brother. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, distractions don't matter to me,  as long as I get to play the game and at least be in it, for a while. Sometimes I win, most of the time I lose, but I had a damn good time doing it. Life is like a game of Chess.

    I know me and you don't particularly care for each other, but if you can get a pic of that board, I'd like to see it.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #255

    N2UHC

    htdavidht wrote:

    Oh I see... I know the board is ornamental on function, but I don't know how it will look hanging on a wall as decoration...

    I think it would definitely give the room a "this is a game room" feel.  Maybe put a thin wooden frame around it or something.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #256

    htdavidht

    N2UHC wrote:
    htdavidht wrote:

    Oh I see... I know the board is ornamental on function, but I don't know how it will look hanging on a wall as decoration...

    I think it would definitely give the room a "this is a game room" feel.  Maybe put a thin wooden frame around it or something.

    Sorry still can't picture this.

  • 3 months ago · Quote · #257

    btickler

    BreedingSeason wrote:
    btickler wrote:

    I collect chess sets but I would never play with anything but a very plain board and Staunton-ish pieces...it affects concentration/calculation in ways both overt and subtle ;)...

    Doesn't do that to me. I say, you only live once. If it's something youre into and can afford it , get the best that strikes your fancy. Use it. Or someone else will, when you're gone. Maybe that's why I'm not a great chess player like you or my little brother. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, distractions don't matter to me,  as long as I get to play the game and at least be in it, for a while. Sometimes I win, most of the time I lose, but I had a damn good time doing it. Life is like a game of Chess.

    I know me and you don't particularly care for each other, but if you can get a pic of that board, I'd like to see it.

    I posted my collection in the "Does anyone collect chess sets?" thread (post #44)...but here's the marble board specifically:

  • 2 months ago · Quote · #258

    LeeKashan

    Got a nice plastic set nice tournament size with jet black and white components and slightly rounded/stylised staunton pieces. It looks great and clear, and does me fine. It is nice to play on it rather than the computer.. totally different feel, you can't beat real face to face chess and it definitely ups your game. trouble is the relative I play is at a much higher level than me, might have to join a club and play similar rated people.

  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #259

    aki907

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 7 weeks ago · Quote · #260

    aki907


Back to Top

Post your reply: