Forums

New member needs opinions on this chess board.

Sort:
DiogenesDue
BreedingSeason wrote:
btickler wrote:

Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

Wait a minute??? You have this board? Have a photo of it?

It's in a closet, about 45 minutes away from my current domicile ;).  But if I remember next time I head that way, I'll post one.

BreedingSeason
btickler wrote:
BreedingSeason wrote:
btickler wrote:

Ahhh, the irony and karma of owning a nice green and white solid marble board from Athens :)...it was so heavy that the canvas siding on my suitcase tore in the corner on the way back to Naples...

Wait a minute??? You have this board? Have a photo of it?

It's in a closet, about 45 minutes away from my current domicile ;).  But if I remember next time I head that way, I'll post one.

I'd like to see it.

I cant believe you have a beautiful stone board like that, from Athens no less, and don't use it.

DiogenesDue

I collect chess sets but I would never play with anything but a very plain board and Staunton-ish pieces...it affects concentration/calculation in ways both overt and subtle ;)...

BreedingSeason
btickler wrote:

I collect chess sets but I would never play with anything but a very plain board and Staunton-ish pieces...it affects concentration/calculation in ways both overt and subtle ;)...

Doesn't do that to me. I say, you only live once. If it's something youre into and can afford it , get the best that strikes your fancy. Use it. Or someone else will, when you're gone. Maybe that's why I'm not a great chess player like you or my little brother. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, distractions don't matter to me,  as long as I get to play the game and at least be in it, for a while. Sometimes I win, most of the time I lose, but I had a damn good time doing it. Life is like a game of Chess.

I know me and you don't particularly care for each other, but if you can get a pic of that board, I'd like to see it.

Pat_Zerr
htdavidht wrote:

Oh I see... I know the board is ornamental on function, but I don't know how it will look hanging on a wall as decoration...

I think it would definitely give the room a "this is a game room" feel.  Maybe put a thin wooden frame around it or something.

htdavidht
N2UHC wrote:
htdavidht wrote:

Oh I see... I know the board is ornamental on function, but I don't know how it will look hanging on a wall as decoration...

I think it would definitely give the room a "this is a game room" feel.  Maybe put a thin wooden frame around it or something.

Sorry still can't picture this.

DiogenesDue
BreedingSeason wrote:
btickler wrote:

Doesn't do that to me. I say, you only live once. If it's something youre into and can afford it , get the best that strikes your fancy. Use it. Or someone else will, when you're gone. Maybe that's why I'm not a great chess player like you or my little brother. It doesn't matter if I win or lose, distractions don't matter to me,  as long as I get to play the game and at least be in it, for a while. Sometimes I win, most of the time I lose, but I had a damn good time doing it. Life is like a game of Chess.

I know me and you don't particularly care for each other, but if you can get a pic of that board, I'd like to see it.

I posted my collection in the "Does anyone collect chess sets?" thread (post #44)...but here's the marble board specifically:

LeeKashan

Got a nice plastic set nice tournament size with jet black and white components and slightly rounded/stylised staunton pieces. It looks great and clear, and does me fine. It is nice to play on it rather than the computer.. totally different feel, you can't beat real face to face chess and it definitely ups your game. trouble is the relative I play is at a much higher level than me, might have to join a club and play similar rated people.

aki907
[COMMENT DELETED]
aki907
default_avatar

Nice puzzle.