Forums

Nimzowitsch's My System

Sort:
JustinJ_FairfieldU

Hi, I was wondering if there is any free and legal version of Nimzowitsch's My System for download, even if it is in the original language. I heard it was a a great book, and I would think that the copy rights would be up by now on the early translations or at least the original text.

Thanks,

JustinJ

bigpoison

You don't need to invest anything.  There is a free downloadable pdf somewhere.

Sorry, I don't have the link.

insidejob

Hi - I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know there is a book by Nimzovich (spelling?) called "Chess Praxis, The Praxis of My System", which was translated into English in 1936, after his death.  There is a paperback edition of this that was first published by Dover Publications in 1962.  It's 364 pages, and was only $3.00 back then.  It lists the Standard Book Number as: 486-20296-8.  It has in it 109 annotated games, which it says are not in "My System", so it is a separate work, but along the same principles.  There is a ton of great stuff in this about positional play.  If I could only play like him!!

Hope this helps you somehow - best of luck with your search!

insidejob

Amazon appears to have both My System and Chess Praxis, BTW.

transpo

Nimzowitsch has 3 publications that I know of:  As far as I know the copyrights have not expired.  Although a revised edition of "My System" has been published by Yasser Sierewan with algebraic notation. All prior publications are in descriptive notation.

"Die Blockade"

"Chess Praxis"

"My System"

All 3 publications cover the same concepts and principles:

Concepts:  Theory of Center Control- Overprotection and Prophylactic

Principles: Chess is Siege Warfare:  Restrain and Blockade,

Hypermodern Theory of Chess-The Small But Secure Center  

and Manouvering Along Inner Lines.

Overarching Principle:

Winning chess is the strategically and tactically correct advance of the pawn mass.

JustinJ_FairfieldU

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I did some digging I can't find anything legal, but I did find out the library at my school has a copy so I could just read that.  If there is too much in the book to learn/remember, I can buy the book down the road.  Thanks especially to IM pfren, but I can't read Russian.  I was expecting the book to be in German or French, both of which I have some knowledge.

Krames

If you send me your address i'll mail you brand new copies of both books. They are both excellent and $$ shouldn't keep you from having 2 great books. Feel free to send me your mailing address anytime on here as a private message.

Best,

Ted

-waller-

I bought it very recently for 10 quid; - the only chess book I have ever bought, and so far it's looking like a good investment.

DrChess_7960

Hi there! If you can read Russian, there is a free "My System" on this website.

http://www.chesszone.org/lib/books-by-stages.html

If not, there are some other free books in English that you may like. Winter's KINGS OF CHESS, for instance, feaures the World Championship matches from Lasker to Botvinnik. You may need some special reader programs for them but the site directs you to where you could download that as well.

I must admit that I have not read it myself although it is considered a classic and I will have to do so some time. Meanwhile, if you are looking for a good investment (I mean if you must spend any money at all) in books on the Middlegame, may I recommend Silman's HOW TO REASSESS YOUR CHESS. His style is easy and lots of fun. I think I learned more from this book than anywhere else. There will be other books just as good for learning but this gives you a good foundation start with.

rooperi

Or try here: Laughing

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/a-chess-parody-an-ingenious-example-of-my-system

El7San
[COMMENT DELETED]
RonaldJosephCote

I got My System at Barnes & Noble for about $20. Its in English and it has a white cover.

jv2080

"My System" by Aron Nimzowitsch video series on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW-ubDuosu7UKDXI6KF7XIMdzaStaVEIL

http://youtu.be/yLrNC9Rskww

Hope this helps

kleelof

Thanks jv. I've read most of the book, but it will be nice to hear some commentary.

cheeky_chicky

If anyone would like an entire FREE copy of "My System" go to this link and click on FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS  http://thisischess.blogspot.com/p/free-chess-recource.html

guardianx9

On youtube if u search for the book there is a guy who does an audio n actually show u how the pieces move

Tom_Brady_SB49_Champ

is this a legal version?

hitsh982485012

thnx

Dreadtower
'My System' is in two parts (within the same volume) entitled 'The Fundamentals' and 'Position Play'.

'The Fundamentals' is very readable and covers all the basics of chess in very great detail. His terminology is nice: "7th, Rank Intrusion'; "Marauding Raids" and "King Encirclement" describing the decimation of the enemy army that can result, and ensures this section its enduring reputation and popularity.

Do not take 'position play' to mean merely putting your pieces on good squares, Nimzowich is here referring to Hypermodern strategy and this section of the book is very advanced.

'Chess Praxis' is the companion book that has the same layout as "My System" (Chapter 1 covers the same material as that in 'System') but this time the presentation is as a set of annotated games illustrative of each point).

"My System" is well worth obtaining for the first part (strong players may also enjoy part two) and "Chess Praxis" is good to have alongside.
jcv11
[COMMENT DELETED]