Forums

Nominations: great but little known books

Sort:
Lawdoginator

Hacking technique? 

ElizaLulu
Leslie Ault's out of print books "Genesis of Power Chess" and "Chess Tutor: The Elements of Combinations" are both great. Genesis of Power Chess is in the process of getting reprinted by Thinker's Press and should be out in the fall.
Blundering
Lawdoginator wrote: Hacking technique?  My comment was a little Tongue in cheek - burnett's book takes a very practical approach, albeit not the most sophisticated, based around attacking chess. A very fun read
DrSpudnik

Tension in the Chess Position...from 1980 or so. Instead of memorizing lines of the latest fad opening, just learn when to pop your opponent.

Vyomo

I would recommend Yasser Seirawans's Book Winning Chess Brilliancies-I still ponder over it!

Archaic71

I am about 1/2 way through Nizhmetdinov's Best Games of Chess, and it is really good.  His annotations are really good and the guys that did the English translation did a good job of capturing him.  It remind me a lot of Tal's book without the historical matchups that Tal played.

(although he beat Tal 3-1 lifetime, including once while Tal was champ)

Crazychessplaya

One more note on the single-volume chess opening books. Just bumped into this video review of chess books, where the author gives grade "A" to Michael Basman's Chess Openings at 5:03. Never heard of the book, but I do recall Basman as a 1.g4 advocate. Anyway, here is the video:

PUMAPRIDE

lol @ crazychessplaya this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xHARoWRSI is what other thought about his book review you posted.

Crazychessplaya

An interesting spoof, but a bit unfair to the author of the original, in my opinion. There is only so much time you can allocate to reviewing 100 books. The guy in the original video did it in a "quick and dirty" way, but so what? It was still fun to go through...

PUMAPRIDE
Crazychessplaya wrote:

An interesting spoof, but a bit unfair to the author of the original, in my opinion. There is only so much time you can allocate to reviewing 100 books. The guy in the original video did it in a "quick and dirty" way, but so what? It was still fun to go through...

but the author didnt even study the books, he dismissed books just because he didnt like the opening. he dismissed the leningrade dutch because he it doesnt show transpositions. I think he even dismissed books because they were to advanced. I dont know that seems unfair to me too, but i might remember it incorrectly, it has been a long time till i saw those vids.

tomgdrums
PUMAPRIDE wrote:

lol @ crazychessplaya this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4xHARoWRSI is what other thought about his book review you posted.

The author of the spoof is actually a friend of the author of the videos.

PUMAPRIDE
tomgdrums wrote:
PUMAPRIDE wrote:

The author of the spoof is actually a friend of the author of the videos.

my bad lol. but he still was right

Crazychessplaya

The background for the original video was this: the guy was giving up chess for the time being, and decided to keep only chess books that fell into the "A" or "B" category. All the books classified as "C", "D" & "F" he would get rid of. In due course, some excellent books landed in the "dump" piles only because the author did not see himself ever playing those openings. Doesn't mean the books are poorly written. Anyway, I got a very strong impression that the Basman book was a treasure, and therefore decided to share it with the good folks here.Smile

Lawdoginator

Hey, we got one of the great but little known authors on this thread! 

Crazychessplaya

Liked the 5.Nce2!? in the Nolan game in Streetfighting Chess.

http://www.streetfightingchess.com/Streetfighting%20Chess%20Ch%201.pdf

PUMAPRIDE

Well i think how wanja became master by emanuel lasker deserves that title, maybe im wrong and everyone knows it because its written by lasker. its definetly a really awesome book and i just put it here, because i just had the feeling its nots so knows. its really great about a kid who becames wc, as a kid he had a friend who memorized openings and beaten him, but when both got better, the one with memorization stagnated and he became world class. i think its supposed to be loosely based on lasker, great book anyway and verry enjoyablel.

hankm

I would nominate

Winning Chess: How to See Three Moves Ahead by Fred Reinfeld and Irving Chernev. It is essentially a book on basic chess tactics. It is a bit more difficult than Seirawans winning chess tactics, and could perhaps be described as best for lower-intermediate players. In addition to the basic tactical themes, this book also has a few interesting sections including how to defend against tactics and some annotated games. It is (for some reason) out of print, and rather difficult to find at a decent price.

Crazychessplaya
PUMAPRIDE wrote:

Well i think how wanja (Vanya?) became master by emanuel lasker

Are you sure the author was Emanuel Lasker? Couldn't find the title in his writings. The book title does sound familiar, though.

Metal-Gerd

If You are interested in the beauty of chess this book is it. Tons of cool and beautiful stuff.

PUMAPRIDE
Crazychessplaya wrote:
PUMAPRIDE wrote:

Well i think how wanja (Vanya?) became master by emanuel lasker

Are you sure the author was Emanuel Lasker? Couldn't find the title in his writings. The book title does sound familiar, though.

It probably didn´t get translated. On german www.Amazon.de, you can buy the german version, wich the german title "wie wanja meister wurde" it is written by emanuel lasker