Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Nominations: great but little known books

• 22 months ago · Quote · #61

JG27Pyth

buy this used and do not pay more than $3 for this book! It's full of fun, famous, games and amusing chess anecdotes and description of famous personalities all with Reinfeld and Chernev's seriously overcooked commentary and annotations. Great fun. It's in descriptive notation (which absolutely destoys a book for me now, despite my having grown up using descriptive.) It was published in 1949 so it's all about the great era of European Chess from roughly 1850 to 1950, just prior to the Soviet dominance (Fischer excepted) of the next 50 years.  Worth a look for someone who wants to get some chess history, fun games, corny unfunny chess cartoons, and has three dollars, max, to spend. 

• 22 months ago · Quote · #62

DrSpudnik

I have to post my objections to the AA Troitzky book above. I got ahold of this when I was in my tender developmental stage of chess development & learning. I thought that winning an endgame had more to do with cooking up some complicated and brilliant lengthy combination than simply following a plan that more or less follows from the position you arived at from all the earlier stuff your game. While these compositions are impressive, their practical application is dubious.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #63

rooperi

This book has given me years of pleasure, also only in descriptive afaik.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #64

AndyClifton

Hm, hard to agree with a lot of these being "little-known", but...

I nominate the following.  Despite being compiled/edited by a dingus, it has a lot of interesting material from some very good players indeed (it's also where I first came across that unbelievable Kavalek B vs 2 R's game):

I also found this quite good (way back when):

• 22 months ago · Quote · #65

Crazychessplaya

I can't believe people are adding Pandolfini and Keene books to the thread!Undecided

• 22 months ago · Quote · #66

AndyClifton

Hey, I said the guy was a dink (but the book isn't actually by him, and it's very good indeed).

• 22 months ago · Quote · #67

vadsamoht

AndyClifton wrote:

Hey, I said the guy was a dink (but the book isn't actually by him, and it's very good indeed).

Most of the stuff with Keene's name probably isn't by him.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #68

AndyClifton

Yeah, I'll bet it's all David Levy's doing.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #69

AnnaZC

Crazychessplaya wrote:

I can't believe people are adding Pandolfini and Keene books to the thread!

Laughing

• 22 months ago · Quote · #70

JG27Pyth

Crazychessplaya wrote:

I can't believe people are adding Pandolfini and Keene books to the thread!

Lol. I not only added Pandolfini, but Reinfeld (who is imho just dreadful) ...

but I swear that particular Pandolfini book (which has almost zero text except a brief introduction) is great. As for putting the Reinfeld book on the list... call it a failed troll attempt Wink

• 22 months ago · Quote · #71

AndyClifton

Well, the real oddity is the "little-known" designation.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #72

Quasimorphy

Great might be pushing it, but here's another little known Pandolfini book that's pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/RUSSIAN-CHESS-Fireside-Chess-Library/dp/0671619845/ref=la_B000APJ6YQ_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1350170006&sr=1-5

• 22 months ago · Quote · #73

TwoMove

Keene's early books wern't bad. The one on Nimzowitch is actually good, and even one on 78 World championship reasonable. In that last one  broke agreement with Korchnoi by doing a book at all, and spent more effort on it, than being his second.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #74

AnnaZC

• 7 months ago · Quote · #75

dadam

"Modern Chess strategy" (Edvard Lasker)

Easy to read strategy for beginners.

A very good first book of strategy.

Post your reply: