Forums

Post Your Chess Sets

Sort:
BigFoxy90

As promised, here are some pics of my first Staunton set. Again, this is the Wild Knight Series set. I ordered it off of uscf.com and I am very pleased considering it makes any board I've owned before look like garbage. I went with the natural boxwood and natural rosewood for the pieces. I started running some lines as soon as I set it up and instantly fell in love with the look of the pieces and the smooth feel as you move them across the board. I'm happy to share these with you and I hope you enjoy looking at this beauty as much as I do. Very proud of this. 😊

Best vibes as always!

Powderdigit

Lovely. Enjoy the best vibes. ✌️

DesperateKingWalk

A great chessboard and chess set combination. Nicely done!

hermanjohnell
BigFoxy90 wrote:

As promised, here are some pics of my first Staunton set.

Well, you´ll never NEED another set but... Congrats!

DesperateKingWalk

A NEED is such a subjective term. I have about 120 large chessboard and chess piece combinations. But I still need more. I think I NEED at least 365 combinations of large chessboard and chess sets. So I do not have to use the same chess set combination twice in one year...cry

Here we have a 1959 Zagreb on a maple and blackwood chessboard. The 1960 Tal chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard. And the Staunton Lasker chess set on a burl and ebony chessboard.

natteh

@DesperateKingWalk thank you for posting this, as it makes me feel so much better about my own situation! grin.png

Ibuildchess
DesperateKingWalk wrote:

1950 Dubrovnik boxwood and ebony chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard.

A lovely set and board, not to take away from it (because it is lovely) but the wood for the dark squares is most assuredly not cherry. Looking at the coarser grain: I would call it Jatoba, which is commonly referred to as "Brazilian Cherry". Given this colloquial name I can see how one might make the decision to call it cherry, but cherry it is not!

ChessboArt

I will join the discussion. I make such chess pieces and chessboard by myself in Poland.
My Chessboard Michał Fudalej

www.ChessboArt.com and Michał Fudalej

The idea is to do it professionally, but I still need to work on sales.

My web site: www.Chessboart.com

I have patience for chess and wood.
I guess I must have different predispositions to sell. I will be grateful for every good idea happy.png

blueemu

My chess set is a perfectly normal weighted plastic Staunton-style set.

Not worth posting a picture of.

Its only distingushing feature is that after I drew against Tal in a simul, I bought the chess set that we played the game with.

DesperateKingWalk
Ibuildchess wrote:
DesperateKingWalk wrote:

1950 Dubrovnik boxwood and ebony chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard.

A lovely set and board, not to take away from it (because it is lovely) but the wood for the dark squares is most assuredly not cherry. Looking at the coarser grain: I would call it Jatoba, which is commonly referred to as "Brazilian Cherry". Given this colloquial name I can see how one might make the decision to call it cherry, but cherry it is not!

Correct, And that is what it was sold as by the chessboard maker. And it was just described as cherry version of this Jim Andson Woods chessboard version of wood combinations. And you are not taking away anything...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/767005433/chessboard?click_key=f7ed5e3c599d3a067120142dfc89fa6ab4bf7908%3A767005433&click_sum=eb769d5b&ref=search2_top_narrowing_intent_modules_etsys_pick-1&frs=1&sts=1

Chessboard is completely handmade, by me, right here in Southern Oregon.
Created from Bazillion Cherry and Maple, or, Black Walnut and Maple

DelphinSnow
blueemu wrote:

Its only distingushing feature is that after I drew against Tal in a simul, I bought the chess set that we played the game with.

I love, when chess pieces come with a story. thumbup

DesperateKingWalk
blueemu wrote:

A chess set you drew a game against the great GM Tal....is well worth posting. And plastic is fantastic as many have said...

wildthingthing

Wow - first I have seen of the Jim Andson Woods Chessboards. The PERUVIAN ... wow. Absolutely stunning.

ogouriev

@desbutal How do you like JimAndsonWoods' split magnetic board against Cheesbaazar rollup board? Also, just a friendly reminder - check correct position of your Chess Bazaar board.

desbutal

@ogouriev Oh lol that's embarrassing, yeah I just threw the pieces on there for the photo and didn't even pay attention to the position tongue.png

I mean, Jim's board and the rollup board are totally different. Jim's board is probably 3-4 times as thick, and indestructible - it will last the rest of my life. The rollup board will fail eventually. I didn't really want a rollup board, I just wanted a ~12 inch board that folded in half, but apparently those don't really exist. The deal on the pieces + board combo was too good to pass up, otherwise I probably would have asked Jim to make me a custom cheap, thin, folding 12 inch board. But the rollup board is really pretty and I like it. I just won't be using the roll up function; I just fold it in half for transportation.

ungewichtet

CyberTacoMan

Just bought this set for our new house. Arrives soon. Can't wait.

ArchbishopCheckmate