Forums

Strategy Books

Sort:
Gwadnnek

Hey Everone,  I'm new to the chess arena, and I am wondering what are some good strategy books.  I know the basics of chess, but I want to take my game to a higher level.

toppcatt22

Gwadnnek,

I will tell you as long as you do not use it to beat me....

jk

Attacking the King by J. N. Walker is a book that I just finished. It goes over some solid solid basics of how to win. Get it; read it; you'll like it. 

farbror

I think Tactics is the key area to work on for improvement.

silviomossa

On a similar note, I'm looking for a book for a six year old who has just started playing chess.  Any recommendations?  He'll read it with his dad, and I'd like something fairly simple to help build his confidence.  Thanks.

Gwadnnek
farbror wrote:

I think Tactics is the key area to work on for improvement.

What is the best book on tactics?

farbror

There are tons of good books on tactics. There is also web based resources such as Tactics Trainer and the Chess Tactics Server.

I tend to like software better for tactics training but I am very pleased with my books on tactics:

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/farbror&tag=Tactics

Bardu

I would recommend Ward Farnsworth's Predator at the Chessboard. You can access it online at www.chesstactics.org. The book clearly explains and walks you through countless tactical positions.

I am also a beginner. My play has improved vastly. When you are first starting to study chess it is most important to study tactics.