Forums

The 1855 Official Staunton Chessmen Pictorial Review

Sort:
goodknightmike

As a result of rcmacmillian's fine review on the Official Staunton 1865 Chessmen, I decided to purchase the 1855 Official Staunton Chessmen in boxwood and ebonised (black finish). The sets are identical except that each offers a different hand carved Knight. Kings measure a tad under 4" with a 1.75" diameter base. Pawns are 2 1/8" in height. The 34 piece set (extra queens) is nicely weighted at 1.45kg or just over 3 lbs. Both Kings have"Official Staunton" stamped at their base. The set features finely turned wide-based pieces with very nice hand carved Knights. The pieces look very similar to those in the vintage 1920s sets. A wonderful set for tournament, blitz or home play and a nice addition to any collection. I really like this set and recommend it to those looking for a quality set at a budget price. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I offer for your perusal many pictures of this beautiful set. 

http://www.officialstaunton.com/collections/chess-pieces/products/1855-official-staunton-chessmen

goodknightmike

cgrau

Excellent review, Mike. Always enjoy your photos!

Inexpose
Inexpose

Cool

Inexpose
Inexpose wrote:

goodknightmike
cgrau wrote:

Excellent review, Mike. Always enjoy your photos!

My pleasure Chuck, thanks!

goodknightmike
rcmacmillan wrote:

I think I like the knight in this set even better than I do the 1865, Mike. I don't think that anyone on the planet is making better sets at better price points than Official Staunton. While there is nothing "official" about them, the quality of the carving and finish on their sets rivals that of HOS, and that is something the market has needed for a long time. Modern Jaques sets, with the possible exception of the upper end (which I can't afford and therefore have no knowledge of) may have the name, but the quality is no better or worse than House of Staunton, or now, Official Staunton.  

I think picking between the 1855 and 1865 Knights would require a coin toss. Both are very nice. Agreed, Official Staunton has made a significant impact on collectors with their fine quality sets.  My collection has been enhanced with their 1849, 1851,1855, 1870, Rosewood Collector and Lenigrad sets. Kudos to Carl for these great sets and I'm looking forward to his future offerings. 

9kick9

Thats a really nice set Mike.! It seems HOS has real compitition on their hands. Also, Thanks for the great pics.

goodknightmike
9kick9 wrote:

Thats a really nice set Mike.! It seems HOS has real compitition on their hands. Also, Thanks for the great pics.

You're welcome Frank. Agreed, Carl's Official Staunton Chess Company is making its name known to collectors with its premium quality sets. 

Jaques-Lover

The set looks absolutely magnificent! If I may say that, I am fortunate to possess an official antique Jaques Club size set of these chessmen (1855-1858) which is in excellent condition - the gem of my collection. I think these chessmen are the most beautiful ones ever made.