20659 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
There is a new book from quality chess on Petrosian's games "Python strategy" which is a translation of one of Petrosian's famous russian books apparantly. Hven't got it myself yet.
Sounds like a great read, thanks for the recommendation
Depends on where you're at in terms of progress.
My current top 10 would be:
- Silman's new endgame book.
- Silman's Reassess your chess.
- Pawn Power - Kmoch
- Chess for Tigers - Simon Webb
- Amateur's Mind - Silman
- Simple Chess - Michael Stean
- Complete Chess Strategy (Vols 1,2,3, not the condensed one!) - Pachman
- Mammoth book of World's Greatest Games
- Build up your chess Series - Arthur Yusupov
- Elements of Positional Evaluation - Heisman
Modern chess Strategy is a completely different book.Is not it?Have you read it?
Have got hold of Python strategy now. My first impressions is that it is using the same source material as the red and blue hardbacks of Petrosian's games and annotating a few more of the games in words, rather than informator style. The analysis is fairly lightweight especially compared to Kasparov's variation heavy books.
Top 10 for myself No particular order:
1. Weapons of Chess - Pandolfinni
2. MCO 15 - Firmian
3. Alekhine's best games 1908-1937 - Alekhine
4. The Art of the Middlegame - Keres & Kotov
5. My 60 Memorable Games - Fischer
6. Reassess your Chess- Silman
7. Silman's Endgame Course
8. Judgement & Planning in Chess - Euwe (Descriptive Notation, but Great read)
9. Secrets of the Russian Chessmasters V2 - Alburt & Parr
10. 10 most common chess mistakes - Evans
Other great books I've read that aren't instructional related.
1. Book of Chess Lists - Andrew Soltis (Great book! I found out Edward Lasker invented the mechanical breast pump from this book XD)
2. Endgame (Bobby Fischer) - Frank Brady
3. Bobby Fischer goes to war - Edmonds & Eidinow
4. Russians Versus Fischer (Not only are their annotated games of Fischer against Soviet players, but also written conversations between soviet players regarding Fischer. Apparently Karpov & Fischer were in talks of a match after 1975, cause Karpov wanted to challenge the best)
5. Searching for Bobby Fischer - Fred Waitzkin
Isn't Simple Chess on the internet somewhere?
The ultimate list:
1. My Great Predecessors - Garry Kasparov 2. The Sorcerer’s Apprentice - David Bronstein 3. Larsen's Selected Games of Chess, 1948-69 - Bent Larsen 4. My 60 Memorable Games - Bobby Fischer 5. One Hundred Selected Games - Mikhail Botvinnik 6. My Best Games - Victor Korchnoi 7. New York 1924 - Alexander Alekhine 8. Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953 - David Bronstein 9. Fundamental Chess Endings - Karsten Muller, Frank Lamprecht 10. Domination in 2,545 Endgame Studies - Ghenrikh M. Kasparyan
There are a lot of good books and 10 list is too short. But anyway, here is my list.
1. Idiot's Guide to Chess- Novice
2. Chess Tactics for Champion- Novice
3. Chess Secrets Giants of Strategy- Above Novice
4. Winning Chess Strategy- Above Novice
5. Logical Chess Move by Move
6.101 Chess Endgame Tips
7. Fundamental Chess Endings
8. Improve Your Chess Pattern Recognition
9. Winning Chess Strategy
10. Invisible Chess Move
Read Winning chess Strategy twice?
In no particular order (except for the first book):
can you please be so kind and elaborate on the Sokolsky book?
why is it so good?
who is the intended reader of this book?
up to what rating level (roughly) would you recommend it?
Thank for your imformation .
An opening Question
by pfren 4 minutes ago
Strategists vs Tacticians - and the expectation that opponent must resign
by RCMorea 4 minutes ago
Post your sets!
by BattleChessGN18 5 minutes ago
Time stand still!!!
by wanmokewan 6 minutes ago
11/26/2015 - Sacrificial Fun
by wafzal 6 minutes ago
How can i think fast and be very focused in chess bullet or blitz?
by Mindfreak1993 6 minutes ago
life is short.....
by r_k_ting 7 minutes ago
Do you support bughouse chess?
by the800 8 minutes ago
by ChessReina 9 minutes ago
by X_PLAYER_J_X 13 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2015 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!