Forums

Visual-Tek 300 chess clock

Sort:
kenardi

The clock is on the ACE website:

http://www.amchesseq.com/vtek300.html

You can see (what I'm guessing is) the final version of the clock in the image.

9kick9

The clock looks great but, at 150.00 I don't know if it will sell very well IMO.

Eyechess

I wonder if Shelby is selling the extra clocks made for the beta testers that were not taken.

If you look closely you will read "Inaugural Edition" on the front.

I personally do not care for that large logo on the back or even the printing on the front.  It can be distracting.  I asked for a completely black clock with no printing and they had one they sent me.

When I talked with Shelby last week about it, he told me they would not be making the print that way again.

kenardi
Eyechess wrote:

I wonder if Shelby is selling the extra clocks made for the beta testers that were not taken.

If you look closely you will read "Inaugural Edition" on the front.

I personally do not care for that large logo on the back or even the printing on the front.  It can be distracting.  I asked for a completely black clock with no printing and they had one they sent me.

When I talked with Shelby last week about it, he told me they would not be making the print that way again.

That was my first thought too...  I thought, "Where are the pin stripes and flames?"

As the manufacture, I can understand wanting that recognition and “advertising”…

I guess it has one plus, the BIG print on the back; less people will stop and ask, “What kind of clock is that?”

If they do, well, they deserve the look you give them!

LouLit

I agree with 9kick9 and Eyechess: The clock is very nice, about $100 worth of nice -- not $150.

The first thing I thought when I saw the clock is that I could use black electrical tape to cover the horrid logo on the back.

Does it come with a lifetime warranty? If it does I'd consider buying it for $150. I wouldn't actually buy it, but I'd consider it. Wink

Regards,

Lou

Eyechess

I think and I told them that having the printing and Logo on it was alright, but not in those places and that big.

I suggested they simply take what is printed on the front, in that size, and put it along the bottom edge of the back, and of course remove that large logo from the back.  This would leave the front without any print and be less distracting when using it.  The name and such on the back would be alright to identify the clock and maker.

I think we just got used to the Chronos with no printing on it, anywhere.

kenardi
Gunvald123 wrote:

does it come with a processor capable of running an engine on it or why does it cost 150$??

That is a good one!  Laughing

Maybe the next edition will add wifi, bluetooth, and 4G.  Laughing

Dont forget the video glasses and ear buds to complete the package...

K2 Touch Control Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset Smart Glasses for ios Android

kenardi
Eyechess wrote:

I think and I told them that having the printing and Logo on it was alright, but not in those places and that big.

I suggested they simply take what is printed on the front, in that size, and put it along the bottom edge of the back, and of course remove that large logo from the back.  This would leave the front without any print and be less distracting when using it.  The name and such on the back would be alright to identify the clock and maker.

I think we just got used to the Chronos with no printing on it, anywhere.

An option for a no-logo edition is a good idea...

It is the first thing I noticed after the large display...

I kind of like the logo on the back.

As for the lip on the front, well, it needs something on it.  At least it seems to have some purpose now.

kenardi
Litwitlou wrote:

I agree with 9kick9 and Eyechess: The clock is very nice, about $100 worth of nice -- not $150.

The first thing I thought when I saw the clock is that I could use black electrical tape to cover the horrid logo on the back.

Does it come with a lifetime warranty? If it does I'd consider buying it for $150. I wouldn't actually buy it, but I'd consider it. 

Regards,

Lou

Some kind of warranty (or easy replacement) on those push buttons would be nice.

I have never owned  a chess clock with that style of push buttons, but they seem as if they might be more susceptible to failure (abuse) than other designs.  I could be entirely wrong.

Eyechess

Those push buttons are the exact same ones used in the Chronos for over 20 years.  And those are the buttons or switches originally used in the IBM electric typewriters.  Those things are never a problem.

When you see a Chronos having problems it is either with the display or the processor, which is an electronic board.  The display is connected to the board with a ribbon cable.  The soldering places and the ribbon cable itself are where most problems come.  I know, because I had 2 Chronos clocks with problems in the early 2000's.  I sent them in to be fixed and it worked.

And, this new clock really has no new hardware from the Chronos except the multi-colored LEDs and electronic chip stuff.  While the display is larger in the new one, it looks to be almost identical to the single line display of the Chronos.

Yeah, this clock is a glorified Chronos.

kenardi
Eyechess wrote:

Those push buttons are the exact same ones used in the Chronos for over 20 years.  And those are the buttons or switches originally used in the IBM electric typewriters.  Those things are never a problem.

When you see a Chronos having problems it is either with the display or the processor, which is an electronic board.  The display is connected to the board with a ribbon cable.  The soldering places and the ribbon cable itself are where most problems come.  I know, because I had 2 Chronos clocks with problems in the early 2000's.  I sent them in to be fixed and it worked.

And, this new clock really has no new hardware from the Chronos except the multi-colored LEDs and electronic chip stuff.  While the display is larger in the new one, it looks to be almost identical to the single line display of the Chronos.

Yeah, this clock is a glorified Chronos.

Good information on the buttons!  thanks!

Those old IBM keyboards took a beating, I know.  That is when they built things to last!

PewMcDaddy

Pretty sure those buttons are cherry mx blue keyswitches and not IBM model M switches.  I have both keyboards.  I find it very hard to believe that it would have model M swiches.  Mainly because that's not the sound they make and secondly only Unicomp makes buckling spring keyswitches these days whereas cherry mx switches are very available on the market.

Eyechess
PewMcDaddy wrote:

Pretty sure those buttons are cherry mx blue keyswitches and not IBM model M switches.  I have both keyboards.  I find it very hard to believe that it would have model M swiches.  Mainly because that's not the sound they make and secondly only Unicomp makes buckling spring keyswitches these days whereas cherry mx switches are very available on the market.

Thanks for the info.  I do know that the button switches look identical to those on the Chronos clocks.  Both the button tops and what shows when that button top is removed are the same.  

In fact I put the button tops from my older Chronos on the V-Tek clock and it's a perfect fit.

By the way, I talked with Shelby last Monday and he told me they are currently producing these clocks and they are going to bw wholesaling them this week.

TundraMike
Eyechess wrote:
PewMcDaddy wrote:

Thanks for the info.  I do know that the button switches look identical to those on the Chronos clocks.  Both the button tops and what shows when that button top is removed are the same.  

In fact I put the button tops from my older Chronos on the V-Tek clock and it's a perfect fit.

By the way, I talked with Shelby last Monday and he told me they are currently producing these clocks and they are going to bw wholesaling them this week.

Yes Eye doc.  A few web sites now have been advertising them that they will be in shortly. 

Skoegahom

I watched the youtube video on setting the clock, but say you are playing multiple games of blitz, game in 5:00, how easy is it to reset for the next game?

Eyechess

Resetting this clock for another game of the same time control, involves hitting the center button once to pause the game.  Then you hold the center button down while hitting the left button 3 times.

guardianx9

Wow when eyechess tell the story of reseting this clock it make me want to snooz.. if ur a blitz player this additional sec willl result in massive delay. I think the retard reset option is the number one reason i hate dgt clock n saitek.. i surely dont want to waste 3 sec everytime i finish a 3 min blizt game .. chrnos have the best teset option n zmf copiied it

Eyechess

What?!?  Are you really saying that:

1. Short press of the center button.

2. Hold down the center button and 3 short presses of the left button.

Takes too long?!?  You have got to be kidding.

I use my Chronos clocks for my blitz games.  The reset on those is no more than a few short presses of the center button or sometimes even only one, depending on the time control set.

But, this is not why I use my Chronos clocks for blitz.  The reason is that the clock I keep with my blitz set is a Chronos, one that is 14 years old by the way.

When I first got my V-Tek I tested it out by playing some blitz with a friend.  Honestly, resetting the time was of no significance.

Now, after having my V-Tek clock for about 5 months I really have some opinions on this clock:

1. This clock is really nothing more than an update of the Chronos clock.  The body and all buttons are identical in build and operation.

2. The updating or upgrading comes in a few ways:

a. The LED indicator lights are new with different colors standing for different things, instead of red being the only color in the Chronos.

b. The display has an extra, smaller and lighter line added on the V-Tek.  After setup and the delay, this smaller line goes blank and all you see is the main time left at the same size and contrast as the Chronos.

c. The programming is new, which means the clock is easier to set than the Chronos.  The setup is completely different than the Chronos and more intuitive.  Setting and using increment time controls is quite a bit easier in the V-Tek.  I'll mention delay setting ease later in the area where I prefer the Chronos.

2. In my opinion there are some things I like better on the Chronos:

a. The Chronos allows for handicap times to be set and saved.

b. The V-Tek is taller and bulkier than the Chronos, even the Chronos II.  Both the Chronos II and GX sit low and sleek on the table, while the V-Tek reminds me of the first Saitek Competition clock, a brick or door stop.  When reaching over to hit the button or sensor on the Chronos clocks, I don't have to raise my hand as much.  I know this might not sound like a big thing, but it is noticeable when playing in time trouble or blitz.

c. Once the main time controls that I use are saved in one of the first 4 saved settings, it really is easy to start a game.  And it is no trouble changing the time.  For instance if we are going to play G/45, d/5 instead of what is set on the clock, G/80, d/5, all I need do is long press the center button until it is in setting mode.  Then pressing either side button and short pressing the center button makes it very easy to change and save the new time control.

d. I actually like setting and using the Chronos for Delay time controls better than the V-Tek.  With my 3 favorite settings, I have no problems and think it easier to use the Chronos.

e. It is also my opinion that the V-Tek is not worth $35 more than the Chronos II.  And with sales the Chronos clocks are even less expensive.  The Chronos GX can be had for under $90 and the Chronos II under $100 during sales at Wholesale Chess.  To date there are no advertised sales on the V-Tek, so it's at $149.  Locals in my Chess club come to me for equipment advice.  They want to know what is the best to buy and where the best price is.  Of the last 4 people that I have guided, 3 bought a Chronos and 1 bought a V-Tek.  From what I have seen, the Chronos is a better value for a lot of players than the V-Tek.

3. So, I do not think the V-Tek is going to be running Chronos out of business anytime soon.  If someone wants a clock that is the best for tournament play, especially with increment, then I tell them it's the V-Tek.  If someone wants a clock that they will use primarily for delay time controls that vary a lot, and they aren't going to be using increment that much, the Chronos is the way to go, in my opinion.

guardianx9

150 with a longer reset option vs a chronos gx which is cheaper... and faster time reset and smaller foot print and lighter.. so chronos gx win.. i got the chronos gx for 86

chesshouse

Some great points have been made so far. I understand that VTEK is looking at all user feedback in order to make a round of changes that will mitigate and improve on the first edition. The initial 30 beta testers did not come up with the points that the market will and that's why this stage is important to gather this feedback and make an update that incorporates the best from the market feedback - something the chronos could not do. Everyone thinks and sees the world through the chronos lens so far

The VTEK is designed to be updated should the owner want a major settings revision. And I understand that is likely to be free, short of the cost to mail it to VTEK for the software upgrade. With that in mind, the higher price is somewhat justifiable and as long as VTEK is committed to not only making the VTEK not just comparable but better in all aspects of programming, it's going to remove a lot of the frustration that new chronos users experience.

I personally like both my Chronos and VTEK. The chronos profile is slightly superior as some others have commented on. However with future software improvements I would prefer the VTEK.